Quality deal on a quality SS welded kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
So I'm looking at upgrading my 44qt SS Bayou Classic to a 15gal (60 qt) double ported welded SS kettle.

At first glance, I'm immediately looking a Spike Brewing's 15 gal setup (valve and sight glass not included) of just what I want for only $190. This guy's a local to HBT so I figure I might give him my business, but I also am one to look around before purchasing something expensive like a new kettle. Does anyone know of any competing or better deals?

I know I can beat that with a weldless solution, but honestly, welded seems to the way to go as far as longevity, durability/strength, etc. I'm open to conversation on this topic as well.

Any thoughts?

Yeah I saw those 2 solutions. Unfortunately, neither has a horizontal port configuration. I'd like to have my thermometer + sight glass kit on one port, and my valve on the other. Those 2 kettle shown offer neither such options, as you'd need a lot of liquid for a sight glass + thermo combo to work at the top port.

Any other suggestions?

Putting a sight glass on your bulkhead for draining is a bad idea.

Totally agreed. That's a lot of pressure to force on a sight glass when draining.

Anyways, it's a moot point, as I just ordered the model I referenced in my first post. I think I'll be plenty satisfied, and I've supported a small-timer with good-looking work trying to do some business.

Now, if only Brew Hardware would go ahead and reopen the site so I can get my orders in for a sight glass thermo combo and a 3-piece ball valve.

Putting your sight glass at the drain port is not a good idea.
Tried it, doesn't work so good.

When draining, the level on your sight glass jumps all over the place and you will have no idea of how much fluid is leaving the kettle.

Back