3rd year cascade sending up shoots 3 mo. early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Actually all of them are sending up shoots, especially along the stems from last year.

No sane person will plant anything outside for 3 months here......

I know hops were around long before me, but we do a lot of micro management(clipping first shoots, limiting # of bines, training them, etc.) just wanted to make sure I shouldn't be clipping these yet.

The tallest is 1/2 cm out of the ground.

just checked mine today, pulled weeds in the bed. still dormant.

It's gotten into the High 40's here with nice sun shine but it still has gotten to freezing or below at night.

What kind of temps are you seeing as HOD and LOD?

Hops are tough though, if they get frozen out they will send up new shoots in the spring. So no worries.

just checked mine today, pulled weeds in the bed. still dormant.

It's gotten into the High 40's here with nice sun shine but it still has gotten to freezing or below at night.

What kind of temps are you seeing as HOD and LOD?

Hops are tough though, if they get frozen out they will send up new shoots in the spring. So no worries.

Wellllllllll...................It has been well below average here, 2 weeks of sub freezing temps during the DAY..........

Then suddenly yesterday it got up to 56F or so day, 37 or so the night before.

These are 1-2 ft from the southern side of the house, resulting in slightly higher ground temps. That may be it.

Nature will probably prune them when it gets below freezing again next week

Whack them off in May.

Will do.

Solving two problems at once-- Mulch heavily and add compost

Mulch like straw or leaves with high carbon ratio will keep the soil cooler and darker. If your hops are day sensitve -- like Fuggles they come up when the day is long enough no matter what the temps are. Here they emerge at equinox in March and get themselves frost pruned every single year. But they go on to produce just fine when our nights warm up enough for growth.

Compost and green manures help feed the soil to feed your third year hops. Hops don't need a ton of nitrogen(N) but PK for sure. Compost well made supplies phosphorus and potassium and green manure plants like clover improve drainage as well.

The best resource is from Crannog Ales. http://www.crannogales.com/HopsManual.pdf
All I learned I learned from Rebecca

Solving two problems at once-- Mulch heavily and add compost

Mulch like straw or leaves with high carbon ratio will keep the soil cooler and darker. If your hops are day sensitve -- like Fuggles they come up when the day is long enough no matter what the temps are. Here they emerge at equinox in March and get themselves frost pruned every single year. But they go on to produce just fine when our nights warm up enough for growth.

Compost and green manures help feed the soil to feed your third year hops. Hops don't need a ton of nitrogen(N) but PK for sure. Compost well made supplies phosphorus and potassium and green manure plants like clover improve drainage as well.

The best resource is from Crannog Ales. http://www.crannogales.com/HopsManual.pdf
All I learned I learned from Rebecca

Thank you!!
How many are you growing?

Latest posts

Back