Racking/fruit dilemma!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsnort

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal...

I brewed a Red Ale last week. At the last minute made a quick decision to toss 4 quarts home-canned peaches, syrup and and all, in the brewpot at flame out.

Don't EVEN ask the glaringly obvious "Why?" question, it just seemed like a good idea at the time - and no, I wasn't drinking... Yet.

Anyway, I cooled everything down, thru it all into a 6.5 gal. carboy for the primary without straining, pitched some English Ale yeast harvested from my last batch and off to the races.
Note: the peaches were pureed immediately prior to addition.

Now it's a week later...

The trub is a full SIX INCHES THICK! Tons of "peach slime" in the bottom. If I just rack off the beer above the gunk, I'm going to end up with a whopping 3 to 3.5 gallons.

Any suggestions on getting the good stuff out of the peach goo?!?!?!

Maybe some kind of strainer on the end of the siphon? I'm using a wine thief-type siphon starter, so I can actually pump the beer out if required.

Any input - except for 20/20 hindsight - is appreciated!

Hopsnort

Well...I hope you learned your lesson ;)

First idea is that maybe it'll continue to settle a bit. It's only been a week.

Try this. Get one of those Chore Boy type scrubby pads. Secure it to the end of your racking cane with rubber bands or something. Sanitize the whole thing and rack. The Chore Boy acts as a filter and should help quite a bit. It works great with lots of particulate matter...not sure about peach slime ;)

And remember...it's beer...just say no to impulse fruit decisions. Cheers :D

Sanitize a rubber band and a small piece of grain bag. Put the bag over the end of your siphon, and attach with rubber band. It'll strain it, but it might run slow, or clog a little. I've done it in the past and it works OK.

Latest posts

Back