scotch ale confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife suggested I make a scotch ale next (though I don't know why, she doesn't even drink beer...). I started looking for information on it, and now I am confused about exactly what a scotch ale is! Is it a "Scottish Ale"? What the heck are those numbers next to the name on some of them.

Is there a good example on the store shelf I can try so I know what I'm getting into? I have tried one before, and liked it, and so did a friend of mine, but for the life of me I can't remember the name! (no, I was not drunk off it!)

The one I see at the store is McEwans (I think), but I'm afraid of getting something that is not really inidicative of the style. Any suggestions?

Scotch Ale is usually used for the Strong Scotch ale catergory
The numbers are pence or 80/- being the export or strongest. traditionally the 80/- was the highest abv and hence the number was higher(more expensive)
Someone else can finish this

EDIT: Shilling, pence. its all foreign to me

Scotch and Scottish Ales are a lttle different.

Scotch Ales are strong, malty, kinda like the barleywines of the Scottish world

Scottish Ales are the lower gravity cousins that are the normal session beers. The number system is the antiquated shilling system that had to do with the tax rate on the beer. The stronger the beer, the higher the taxes.

60/- (read sixty shilling) lowest gravity 1.030-1.035
70/- 1.035-1.040
80/- Export or 1.040-1.054

There are higher numbers, but those just get in the Scotch Ale catagory

Here's the BJCP guidelines on the styles
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style09.html#1a

Brew a scotch ale ... you'll really enjoy it. The key to a good scotch ale is the yeast. You're going to want to use an Edinburgh yeast, have a nice long slow, cool fermentation and you'll end up with a very good, malty beer.

I just brewed a strong scotch ale yesterday evening. I used 1728 Scottish ale yeast and the smell is great. alot different from any other yeast I have used.

A strong scotch ale is the same as a wee heavy. mostly, the flavor profiles throughout the scotch ales are all very similar ... it's just a matter of OG

If you use edinburgh yeast - let that thing sit and cold condition for a LONG time. I've done 2 beers with it, and both greatly benefitted from age. In fact, I tried one 2 weeks in the keg and would not drink it. 2 months later, I drank the last pint and was very disappointed that none was left.

I might have to try a few more before deciding which way to go. I have no doubt that I will enjoy either. The one that my friend's wife enjoyed was sampled at a "chain brewery" in Fargo. I forget the name. It's one where they wort is made elsewhere, and fermented in-house.

You should try the McEwan's, it is very good. Traquair House was like syrup to me. And Belhaven makes some good ones too...Yeah go do some research!!

jezter6 said:
If you use edinburgh yeast - let that thing sit and cold condition for a LONG time. I've done 2 beers with it, and both greatly benefitted from age. In fact, I tried one 2 weeks in the keg and would not drink it. 2 months later, I drank the last pint and was very disappointed that none was left.

My wee-heavy sat in the fermenter for 4 weeks then racked to the clearing tank for another 8 weeks. I keged it and moved it to the kezzer. It's been in there now 5 months and it's damn good. :rockin:

Just remember that "you canna brew a [f***ing] 80/- like you were mixing f***ing cement with f***ing hops instead of gravel."

Old post here, but where did this originate? I hear it on Northern Brewer commercials, but I'm not sure if that's where it's originally from.

Also, I can't make any sense of it. What does it mean?

Yeah it was an ad for Northern Brewer on the Brewing Network about a year ago, before the 10th-Level Beer Nerd spots came out.

Back