Flame out hops and CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drez77

Reaction score
I am planning to upgrade to a CFC and I am wondering if it would be better to have the flameout hops in a hop-back as opposed to throwing them in the kettle. I am worried that if I throw them in the kettle they will sit in the hot wort to long and loose some of the aroma. Thank you in advance.

I guess it depends on how long you plan to take draining the kettle. I get 10 gallons out in about 8 minutes. That's a reasonable amount of time for a kettle steep aroma addition but you could augment it with a dry hop if you wanted to. Sure, a hop back is ideal but it's another thing to clean too.

I use my CFC along with my False Bottom to do the job, granted I only use leaf hops, but I can drain my kettle pretty fast after flameout! It actually works really well, the hops are a natural filter and as the hot wort filter through it strips the hops of all the oils.

I just picked up a false bottom for my keg. Most of the hops I bought this year were whole. My last session with whole hops turned in to a draining nightmare. Maybe I am just over worried about swapping to a cfc. I plan to follow Bobby's instructions and get one built over the weekend and give it a go next week. I still have the Hop-Back/ grant already built so I may just give it a try latter on in the year. I planed to pump hot wort through it to sanitize it prior to use.

Back