DC Group Buy #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As buy #4 filled up quickly today, I am starting this thread to record your requests for the next group buy. Please feel free to request anything from the price list. If you do not have the list and want it, please let me know and I will PM you a link to download the latest prices. Again, we only have a limited selection, so if you want something not on the list let me know and I will try to get it added to the list. Cheers!

Starting off with my sacks:

2 x Rahr 2-row

jasonvt and the physicist have 3 and 2 sacks.

We have a couple of splits that did not make it on the last buy, one flaked wheat and one non-descript crystal. Assuming these splits get filled, that starts this round at 10 sacks...

Depending on how fast this stacks up, this is what I will take:

2 x 2-Row
1 x Vienna
1 x Dark Munich

But, please confirm before you order.

Can I get a price/product spread sheet? Live in VA and just started brewing.

On Buy #4 we were shorted 3 sacks of Pils. Stefin has graciously agreed to push his to this buy:

3 x Rahr Premium Pils

Current Running Sack Total: 18 (almost halfway there!)

Splits on Crystals:
Is anyone interested in multiple splits on various crystals? I'm thinking of going 5-ways on each. That gets each of the participants 10# of the crystal they signed up for. I'm putting this in early so we can possibly reserve the 5 or 6 bags on the pallet and gives us some time to group together.

Logistics:
Logistics maybe a bit tricky, but I'm willing to front the money for the sacks, as long as all participants collect their shares on pick-up day. I'll weight out the splits, so stonebrewer doesn't get hampered with the job.
My LHBS charges $2.20/lb for crystal. We can get these for $1.00 per pound ($48/sack).

You may double up on any share if you want more, or split them by yourself with others. The minimum order per crystal is 10#, provided all splits will be filled.

Crystals (Briess) on the price list are:
C20
C40
C60

Perhaps we can get C80 and C120 added.

If there's interest in multi-splits for other malts in the same fashion, just post a message here. I've added Carafoam just for show, although I'm interested in 10-20# myself.

Code:
				Bulk Buy - 5-way splits

Name		IslandLizard	Buyer2	Buyer3	Buyer4	Buyer5	Buyer6	Buyer7	Buyer8	Buyer9	Buyer10
C20		     10#
C40		     10#
C60		     10#
C80		     10#
C120		     10#
Carafoam	     20#

IslandLizard & atjsparty: Are we going ahead with the flaked wheat that pushed from last buy? I think we needed a fourth person. Anyone want in on the flaked wheat split?

IslandLizard, fyrewtr418: Both expressed interest in crystal. I will check but may want some C60. Need a fourth on a split, most likely?

CaraPils: I have a 55 pound sack of it so you are welcome to pounds of it @$1 per.

let's try to get these splits nailed down quickly...

IslandLizard & atjsparty: Are we going ahead with the flaked wheat that pushed from last buy? I think we needed a fourth person. Anyone want in on the flaked wheat split?

IslandLizard, fyrewtr418: Both expressed interest in crystal. I will check but may want some C60. Need a fourth on a split, most likely?

CaraPils: I have a 55 pound sack of it so you are welcome to pounds of it @$1 per.

let's try to get these splits nailed down quickly...

1. Yes on the flaked wheat. Let's add us to my split list.
2. I'll add you to the C60 for now.
3. And I'll remove Carapils off my list and be happy to take 10# of yours if you don't mind.

Code:
				Bulk Buy - 5-way splits

Name		IslandLizard	stonebrewer	atjsparty	fyrewtr418	Buyer5	Buyer6	Buyer7	Buyer8	Buyer9	Buyer10
C20		   10#
C40		   10#
C60		   12.5#	   12.5#			  ¿12.5#?
C80		   10#
C120		   10#
Flaked Wheat	   12.5#	   12.5#	 ¿12.5#?

BTW, is anyone going to The Annapolis Craft Beer and Music Festival on Saturday the 21st? 6 hours of unlimited samples!

After attending Kegs & Corks last month we are going to this one too. I like the 6 hour session, 3 is way too short IMO.

Please Note:
Apparently all of Briess' Flakes are sold in 25# bags, NOT 50#.

"25-pound multi-wall paper bag"​

I also looked at the pricing. I can get a 25# bag of Briess Wheat flakes for $30 at AHB vs. $37 at our "wholesaler" here.*
Now Barley flakes are around the same price ($37-$38) at both places,* but I only use them in baking.

Briess' Torrified Wheat, Raw Wheat, and Rice Hulls are packed in regular size 50# bags.

* Edit:
There was a misunderstanding.
Our bulk buy does NOT provide Briess Flakes, we are getting 50# bags of Grain Miller. And yes the pricing is way better than we can get at AHB. Twice the amount (50#, not 25) for about the same price.

Thanks stonebrewer, for clearing that up.

The flakes we get are not Briess, they are Grain Miller and come in 50 pound sacks.

Ah, thanks!
The price list says indeed Grain Miller. I was looking at the Group Buy's spreadsheet headers which say Briess Flakes. So we are getting 50# bags. OK then, we are getting a much better deal then. Like twice the amount for the same price. :rockin:

I've edited my original post.

1. Yes on the flaked wheat. Let's add us to my split list.
2. I'll add you to the C60 for now.
3. And I'll remove Carapils off my list and be happy to take 10# of yours if you don't mind.

Code:
				Bulk Buy - 5-way splits

Name		IslandLizard	stonebrewer	atjsparty	fyrewtr418	Buyer5	Buyer6	Buyer7	Buyer8	Buyer9	Buyer10
C20		   10#
C40		   10#
C60		   12.5#	   12.5#			  ¿12.5#?
C80		   10#
C120		   10#
Flaked Wheat	   12.5#	   12.5#	 ¿12.5#?

BTW, is anyone going to The Annapolis Craft Beer and Music Festival on Saturday the 21st? 6 hours of unlimited samples!

After attending Kegs & Corks last month we are going to this one too. I like the 6 hour session, 3 is way too short IMO.

I would be happy to be the 4th for the C60, if the spot is still available.

I would also be happy to take 15# of Carapils off you at pick up, Stone. Let me know if that works.

Total for me, if splits work and Stone has some Carapils for me:

3 x Rahr 2-row
1 x Rahr Premium Pils
12.5# C60
15# Carapils

FYI. I still want the C60, but not the flaked wheat. I thought it was malted (not so much). If anyone is interested in splitting a bag of Red Wheat, let me know.

I have about 53 pounds of carapils currently, so 15 pounds should not be an issue.

The C60 split is closed now that reddskinnfan has taken the last slot.

Still need two people to fill the flaked wheat split.

There is also a Red Wheat split available for half a sack with reddskinnfan.

Re: C60
The C60 is still open, unless you've gotten confirmation from "fyrewtr418" wanting his share. I put question marks around his share to show it being provisional. Perhaps we should try to contact him? Some guys don't check the boards as frequently as we do. He may not be aware.

Code:
				Bulk Buy: 4- and 5-way splits

Name		IslandLizard	stonebrewer	reddskinnfan	fyrewtr418	Buyer5	Buyer6	Buyer7	Buyer8	Buyer9	Buyer10
C20		   10#
C40		   10#
C60 (closed)	   12.5#	   12.5#	   12.5#	   12.5#
C80		   10#
C120		   10#
Flaked Wheat	   12.5#	   12.5#
* Amounts in red are provisional until we get a positive confirmation from the respective buyer(s).

I have about 53 pounds of carapils currently, so 15 pounds should not be an issue.

Doesn't have to be half. I would be willing to split the Red Wheat multiple ways (or White Wheat for that matter).

Re: C60
The C60 is still open, unless you've gotten confirmation from "fyrewtr418" wanting his share. I put question marks around his share to show it being provisional. Perhaps we should try to contact him? Some guys don't check the boards as frequently as we do. He may not be aware.

I have confirmation. The C60 is closed.

I'll take whatever C20 you need to get rid of, don't need it particularly but I'll use it of course eventually! If anyone else is jumping at it no problem.

Steve da sleeve

I'll take whatever C20 you need to get rid of, don't need it particularly but I'll use it of course eventually! If anyone else is jumping at it no problem.

Steve da sleeve

I would be happy to join on C20, too, if split 4 ways.

Any interest in the White/Red Wheat split??

Is there still some 10# of C20 and C40 left? I just grabbed some C60 form Stony yesterday... What's the status of darker crystals? Might be interested in a few pounds of those, although not 10+.
Cheers!

I would be happy to join on C20, too, if split 4 ways.

Any interest in the White/Red Wheat split??

I'll add you and stevedasleeve to the C20 split list for 12.5# each. We need one more participant for C20.

I still have 40# of red wheat left or I would split one with you.

Code:
				Bulk Buy: 4- and 5-way splits

Name		IslandLizard	stonebrewer	reddskinnfan	fyrewtr418	stevedasleeve	funnycreature	Buyer7	Buyer8	Buyer9	Buyer10
C20 (closed)	   12.5#			   12.5#			   12.5#	   12.5#
C40		   10#										   10#
C60 (closed)	   12.5#	   12.5#	   12.5#	   12.5#
C80		   10#
C120		   10#
Flaked Wheat	   12.5#	   12.5#
* Amounts in red are provisional until we get a positive confirmation from the respective buyer(s).

Is there still some 10# of C20 and C40 left? I just grabbed some C60 form Stony yesterday... What's the status of darker crystals? Might be interested in a few pounds of those, although not 10+.
Cheers!

Yeah, we could use one more buyer to close out the C20 at 12.5# each.
Do you want me to add you to the C40 too and see if we can drum up some more brewers?

Mind you C40 is currently NOT on the current price list, but we can ask stonebrewer if we can add it if there is enough interest. Same story for C80 and C120. I put them on the list to see if there was interest in the other crystals.

I agree that 10# of the darker crystal can be too much to stock. Jeez, 1/4# of 120 is usually enough in an amber. The stuff keeps well in sealed thick bags in a bucket. But we could do 1/6 or 1/7 splits. Just need the round up the folks :)

Yeah, we could use one more buyer to close out the C20 at 12.5# each.
Do you want me to add you to the C40 too and see if we can drum up some more brewers?

Mind you C40 is currently NOT on the current price list, but we can ask stonebrewer if we can add it if there is enough interest. Same story for C80 and C120. I put them on the list to see if there was interest in the other crystals.

I agree that 10# of the darker crystal can be too much to stock. Jeez, 1/4# of 120 is usually enough in an amber. The stuff keeps well in sealed thick bags in a bucket. But we could do 1/6 or 1/7 splits. Just need the round up the folks :)

I'd prefer 10# of the C20 but I'm using it enough to take 12.5 since it's half price compared to local shop.
Sure, put me down for C40 but I'm not devastated if it doesn't work out... I still want to support my LHBS with my specialty grain buy! :rockin: :ban:

I'd prefer 10# of the C20 but I'm using it enough to take 12.5 since it's half price compared to local shop.
Sure, put me down for C40 but I'm not devastated if it doesn't work out... I still want to support my LHBS with my specialty grain buy! :rockin: :ban:

You're on the schedule now (mssg #33).
I hear you on supporting the LHBS. But $2.25+ a pound for crystal/cara malts?

Carapils bag was just opened so it seems fresh. Remember most grains these days, when stored properly, have a shelf life of 2-3 years...

My office has been designated to hold the grains, some brewing equipment, fermentation chamber, microscope, stir plate, bottles etc... I think the grains will feel at home :) Didn't mean to criticize or doubt you :tank:

I will take:

(1) sack Weyermann Pilsner
(1) sack Rahr 2 row pale malt

*Is there any chance we might get 3 more people for a split on another bag of C60 again? I would love some of this, but not in a huge amount.

* If you can find the buyers to split 5-7 ways like mentioned above, I would be interested in the C80 or C120...

Back