Is my CDA not dark enough at 32 srm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought the grains to brew a Cascadian Dark Ale for a competition in April. Now I'm reading the style guidline for CDA's that the competition provided and it says the SRM should be 40+. Should I go buy some more dark grains before I brew tomorrow? Here are the guidlines:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1H...y00NGZkLWFjYjEtMmUzMzk5N2RkN2Ew/edit?hl=en_US

It'd be easier to help if you posted the recipe you are going with... ;)

EDIT: FWIW my CDA comes in at about 35 SRM and is a dark "see-thru" mahogany but is probably at the lower end of what is imagined for that style.

One of the competition coordinators just emailed me back and said the difference in color could be the difference between winning the competition and not. I posted my original grain bill. I just bought another 1/2 lb. of carafe 11 which will bring the srm up to 40. I haven't decided on my hops yet. I have lots of cascade, centennial, amarillo, simcoe and chinook so it will be some combo of those. This might just be a test batch because the competition isn't until April 20th and the hops might fade by then anyway. I've never brewed a CDA before. Does this grain bill look ok?

oil Size: 8.29 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.05 gal
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 32.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 0.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 90.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------