big mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbykollege

Reaction score
I bought a bag of corn sugar at my brew store assuming it was enough for a 5 gallon batch. I just bottled a 2.5 g batch and used half the bag stupidly without researching it. I put about 8oz in it where I guess I shoulda put 2ish. It's been 4 days and no explosion yet...

^^^^ The sooner the better. If you don't you're likely to have some live ordinance on your hands.

As the above have said, open the bottles very carefully. Then, if you have access to a corny keg, very gently pour the beers in there, and seal. Then it can carbonate. I would suggest periodically releasing some of the pressure in the keg so it doesn't grossly over-carbonate. Alternatively, very gently pour the beers into a sanitized carboy or other fermenting vessel, and let some of the sugar carbonate for a few days, then re-bottle.

Some pressure will be reduced if you stick em in the fridge before uncapping them, also reducing some gushing. Do this all very carefully because a little bump could make shrapnel fly all over.

I bought a bag of corn sugar at my brew store assuming it was enough for a 5 gallon batch. I just bottled a 2.5 g batch and used half the bag stupidly without researching it. I put about 8oz in it where I guess I shoulda put 2ish. It's been 4 days and no explosion yet...

Please be carful opening those bottles.
I would not be in the mindset to let one explode and send small glass fragments everywhere before i decide what to do with the rest. Your bottles are carbing to around 5-6 volumes i would guess, normal bottles can hold 3. Chill uncap recap. 4 days should of fermented enough sugar out to be fine. You still might be left with a very carb'd beer.

They're still only mildly carb'd. I opened them up and poured them back into a fermenter thinking I solved the problem, but one of the last beers had a big chunk of flesh looking crap plop in the bucket. It was some kind of mold. I pulled it out quickly but I feel like it may infect the whole batch now. Grrrr

They're still only mildly carb'd. I opened them up and poured them back into a fermenter thinking I solved the problem, but one of the last beers had a big chunk of flesh looking crap plop in the bucket. It was some kind of mold. I pulled it out quickly but I feel like it may infect the whole batch now. Grrrr

Without pictures, it is hard to tell, but I suspect that this is just a "yeast raft" or some other chunk of trub. Fermentation is a messy process, and often leaves behind all types of funky stuff in the bottles/buckets.

Back