Does unfermented wort need boiled again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastluvr

Reaction score
This is a first for me. I've on about my 12th batch of beer over the last 3 years and for the first time my yeast appears dead. I re hydrated nottingham but didn't notice much activity. Of course, homebrewers like myself often worry too much so I figured it was fine and pitched it in which was Saturday.

A little over 48 hours at 63 degrees and there is nothing and I'm 95% sure there was a yeast problem. So I took my last batch of amber, poured off the beer, swirled the 22 oz bottle and dumped it into a very small, about 1/2 cup starter. I've read to take this and make a larger starter off the smaller one next.

My question is how long can you just leave the wort sitting there in your fermenter. Is there a rule of thumb? Wondering if 3-4 days is too long or if I can just pitch my starter when done. I was thinking I could boil the wort again but that seems like a lot of work?

Assuming your sanitation methods are sound I believe you'll be fine letting it sit. Did you happen to take a gravity reading recently? Is is possible fermentation is going on but airlock activity doesn't show it? Yeast are pretty resilient, I'd do a gravity reading before worrying about repitching.

I agree! I pitched Nottingham into a stout on thursday and I never really got any airlock activity at all. Just a bubble every now and then.. With that being said I checked gravity after 2 days, and it's actually almost to FG already. As a lot of people will tell you... don't pay any attention to your airlock as a gauge of fermentation or a lack there-of. Always trust your hydrometer and nothing else..

I had this problem once with a stout. Even with a starter, I saw no signs of fermentation. 72 hours later I was getting worried. I pitched a pack of S-05 and fermentation began in <6 hours. Like Dan said, if your sanitation is good, your wort should hold up.

I've heard of people leaving wort at room temp for a whole week to krausen with later.

Not only is there no airlock activity, the airlock has had negetive pressure, sucking back and holding the vodka I put in it which tells me there is no co2 being produced.

Not only is there no airlock activity, the airlock has had negetive pressure, sucking back and holding the vodka I put in it which tells me there is no co2 being produced.

Have you taken any gravity readings? It's the only way to know what it's doing... If it's still at OG then you probably need to re-pitch. How well did you aerate?

I agree with taking a hydrometer reading and I will take one. I'm still fairly certain its not fermenting. In the mean time I'm trying a starter from my last batch. Another first for me. Sounds like what I'm hearing is I dont need to worry about the wort just sitting there for this time period.

I wouldn't worry about the wort.. Making the starter is a good idea just in case you do have to re-pitch. It's going to take quite a few days to grow an adequate starter from a bottle of beer. If you could buy another pack of yeast locally I would do that instead. I would think your wort would be ok up to a week or so, but I'm just guessing. Do you have a stir plate?

Back