Replacing candi sugar with grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on the color you can replace candi sugar with plain white table sugar. Is it listed as clear? If its one of the darker varieties you would probably have to increase the dark crystal malt content and still use some table sugar to create the required dryness.

Um, why do you want to do that? You won't be making the same beer if you do that. Sugar in Belgian beers has very specific reasons for being in the beer, like it is for most high gravity brews, to dry the beer out and contribute to the 'higher gravity without boosting the body to the point that grain does. Look at it this way, what is the difference between a barleywine and a Belgian Quad? They're both roughly the same gravity, but the body is different. Belgian beers, no mater how high grav tend to be somewhat thinner in body, and less filling than a barleywine.

You need sugar if you are trying to be true to style.

This isn't some of that "I read that adding sugar in my beer is bad" nonsense, is it?

As usual...Revvy explained it well....if you want to make a Belgian Triple you need to use sugar. Now...there are all kinds of alternatives when it comes to which sugar to use.....all of which you can make yourself. I make 2-3 Belgians for every other beer style I make....can't get enough of them...unfortunately neither can my friends....

candi sugar rocks are about 42 ppg
grain is about 37ppg

42/37 times 1 lb =~ 1.14lb of grain

Conversly, your beer will be (37/42 times 1lb grain =~ ) 88% as good as if you had just used sugar like the style calls for ;)

I've noticed this topic has come up alot lately. I made the candi myself, it was easy. Got it going before the brew and it was ready be boil time. Sugar candis are great you should use the in the style. They make it what it is, otherwise it just a pale ale.

I just used beet sugar in mine, you need the sugar to dry that baby out, or it will be a syrup bomb.

_

Back