GE 7cf Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyp1214

Reaction score
Ok everyone so after reading a few threads and tired of bottling beer I've decided to make the jump to kegging. I found a GE 7cf freezer on craigslist that was less than a year old and in perfect condition for $100. I think it normally goes for $190 at HD.
Immediately took the lid off and the weather striping off the lid.

I had initially planned to do something similar to TomSD's which can be found here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ge-7-cf-fcm7suww-keezer-conversion-192208/

So I went to HD and shopped for wood. The best I found was red oak, a little pricey but by far the best quality and would look best after it was stained. Picked up some stain, drill bit I needed 7/8 spade, l-brackets, poly, and screws etc. Total was $88, wood was $41. Had the guy in the back cut it to size for me (more on this..)
Went home and attempted to liquid nail it together so there would be no screws showing but soon abandoned that and decided to screw it together. Put it together and laid it on the freezer to see how it looked... well it was too short and sure enough I remeasured and it was off by .5" from what I told the guy.
At that point I was pissed because it took a good 2 hours to get it put together perfect, so it took it screwed together and everything to HD. Told the return lady my problem and she said she couldn't help me so I asked to talk to a manager. She didn't like that very much so she called him and told him my problem and hung up saying they wouldn't refund me or give me more wood. Well I said I NEED to talk to the manager this is $41 worth of wood that THEY cut. (obviously it was my fault for not measuring it which I now will do every time!!) So finally the manager came out I told him their cut was off and they guy was probably just in a hurry. He said no problem he'll send a guy back and have some new pieces cut for me. I gave the lady a wink and headed to the back...
Finally got back home and disassembled the original collar since I would be using two of the pieces.

Then put together the second collar. Went very well I was much faster the second time. Then I put some red oak stain on it and this morning put the first layer of poly on it... here's some pics of the progress.

pb040580.jpg

pb040585.jpg

pb040586.jpg

pb040588.jpg

:rockin:

If it was me I would have just eaten it since it was my mistake rather than blaming the cutter, but to each their own...
Tell guy at store to cut something whatever inches long and he doesn't... how is that your fault? Might be a bit naive to not measure it after they cut it but that doesn't make it your fault.

Tell guy at store to cut something whatever inches long and he doesn't... how is that your fault? Might be a bit naive to not measure it after they cut it but that doesn't make it your fault.

Sorry I read it wrong the first time, thought he just measured incorrectly then took it back and blamed the cutter. My apologies.

Thanks Tom I actually just got on here to clarify that and saw you already did... honestly if it was my fault or if I made more money I probably would've let it go, but $41 is a good amount of money to me!
Applied the poly and it is looking good! I'll get some better pics soon.

Here's a link to the kit I'm looking at but will be upgrading the faucets to perlicks and it is just over $400 shipped... what do you guys think can I piece together for cheaper?

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=499

That's not bad for everything you need for 3 taps. You could probably do better if you pieced it out but then you would be paying for shipping from multiple locations and maybe missing something. How much more are they charging for the Perlicks?

That is one thing I would never compromise on... I've heard too many horror stories. I've never used the cheap ones but the Perlicks are a dream... never a problem and solid feel to them.

If it was me I would want a secondary regulator so I could keep my kegs at different pressures but that is a personal choice.

Probably look at adding a nice secondary regulator in the future. Went ahead and order this kit like I wanted at kegconnection with perlicks 525SS:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=499

Free shipping for halloween woohoo! Saved $33

Also ordered the same analog a419 that TomSD used from amazon because I had some money in my account from selling textbooks. Ended up for a little over a $100 I got a 50' immersion chiller with soldered hose fittings and the temperature controller. No too shabby

Latest posts

Back