Yeast Harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irpinc

Reaction score
ok, my first fermentation in my new conical will be done this week. I would like to harvest the yeast for my next batch. i brew 13 gallons so I have 12 gallons to ferment. How much yeast do I need to harvest for each batch? Obviously I'm new to harvesting. lol

THANKS! in advance

What type of beer are you going to make and what OG are you shooting for. You wont want to harvest from a HG beer as the yeast are not the best afterward.

You can harvest as little or as much as you wish from the bottom. It has more to do with how much you would like to keep vs throw away. If you choose you can harvest the whole cake and store it. (though to me that would be a ton of yeast....)

Keep in mind that viability goes down over time and you can harvest more yeast from subsequent batches. How many batches is up to you :)

Batch that is fermenting right now is a simple wheat brew. OG is 1.054

I'm doing a Scottish Ale next. OG will be about 1.060.

The yeast is WYeast 1007. I'll just want to harvest enough for this next batch of brew.

THANKS!

You should be able to just use a small jar but make the slurry very "thick." That should get you more than enough yeast. There are a few reasons for using more water like they do but one is to help you easily split the yeast up. Use an appropriate amount of water for whatever container you plan on storing the yeast in.

I know i've said it before, but you guys rock on this site. Always willing to help out!

Back