Fermentability of splenda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinbrew

Reaction score
Does anyone know if splenda is fermentable? I don't see from a chemical standpoint why it wouldn't be. Would be worried about free chlorine though in beer....

Splenda is not fermentable. All it'll do is sweeten your beer (and make it taste like splenda, probably)

Probably not a good idea to use Splenda for the sheer reason that if it actually did turn into good beer, Budweiser or some other very large brewery likely would have capitalized on this already.

However, Splenda does contain small amounts of maltodextrin, which I believe could be fermentable, but I would imagine your beer would taste very, very bad and the alcohol content would be incredibly low.

I'd error in the side of caution and avoid using it in a batch.

Splenda has some MD in it, which is somewhat fermentable, but it's just there for bulk. The chlorine is locked in. Nothing short of a plasma torch will release it.

As with any backsweetening, try it in a pint first. It's one of the few artificial sweeteners I like.

Probably not a good idea to use Splenda for the sheer reason that if it actually did turn into good beer, Budweiser or some other very large brewery likely would have capitalized on this already.

However, Splenda does contain small amounts of maltodextrin, which I believe could be fermentable, but I would imagine your beer would taste very, very bad and the alcohol content would be incredibly low.

I'd error in the side of caution and avoid using it in a batch.

Budweiser isn't a sweet beer.

Lindeman's uses artificial sweeteners.

Budweiser isn't a sweet beer.

Absolutely. I doubt anyone halfway sane would mistake Budweiser for a sweet beer.

My point was there are hundreds of millions of dollars a year being invested into food science research and if Splenda could make a drinkable beer at a fraction of the calories and sugar, Budweiser or some other large brewery would have already made that beer. They made Bud Light Lime, I don't see any reason they wouldn't have already created Bud Light Light (now with Splenda!).

It makes no sense for budweiser to use artificial sweeteners. Lindeman's uses them which seems to defeat the argument that "they have no use because commercial breweries don't use them".

Let's look at this another way, Budweiser doesn't use chocolate malt. Does that mean chocolate malt has no use in beer or does that mean chocolate malt may have uses in beers other than Budweiser?

It makes no sense for budweiser to use artificial sweeteners.

Yes it does. I would argue the Cherry Bud Light would be quite popular among Americans. I bet you would see it in every supermarket in America.

Lindeman's uses them which seems to defeat the argument that "they have no use because commercial breweries don't use them".

Yes, but Lindeman's uses them post-fermentation. I believe the title of this thread is "fermentability of Splenda," not "the addition of Splenda to beer after fermentation to make it taste sweeter."

Let's look at this another way, Budweiser doesn't use chocolate malt. Does that mean chocolate malt has no use in beer or does that mean chocolate malt may have uses in beers other than Budweiser?

Not really sure where you're going with this...

im telling you guys, i have used splenda in a beer, and it was just absolutely dreadful. Keep it natural.

I'm about to do some experimentation with fermenting out Lindemans by pitching fresh yeast. Randy Thiel said it worked great while he was at Ommegang, and from what I gather Lindemans must be pasteurizing the beer in order to stop the bottle conditioning process. He said the excess sugar in the Lindemans Kriek was consumed by the yeast.

I'll do some 1 gallon batches soon and do write up a thread on the experience.

Back