Mobile kegerator build thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read this whole thread hoping that I would be the first to say "Drink my Shiny Metal Keg!!", right after Foamenter said that! :cross:
mobile34.jpg

-Joe

Latest news: solenoid valve showed up today. A quick test was in order:

[youtube]Z-18GaJ-uk0[/youtube]

It quickly settled down to beer, but I'm going to tinker with it and see if we can't improve on that.

-Joe

may have to do with line length? or hot beer (since it was out of the fridge)

I don't know.... maybe at 8 psi it pours too fast for the valve and you have to have a diff serving pressure? I don't know...

looks amazing though!

Well, the beer was outside the fridge for less than 5 minutes when that video was shot, so I can't imagine it having lost more than a degree or two. The line was also empty to start, so there was no warm beer sitting in it.

It's possible that since the solenoid is rated for 24v, the 12v supply couldn't open it all the way and was cavitating the beer badly. I'll have to find a 24v one and see what happens.

The output line could be longer, too, but I don't want to make it too long since it'll drip an awful lot then.

I'll also be experimenting with lower pressures. When I run a picnic tap I go with 6psi so I'll start there.

-Joe

Ok guys here's what I just tried:

- Used a proper 24v power supply
- Increased the length of the output hose from 3" to 8"
- Lowered the input pressure from 8psi to 6psi
- Forced a stainless spout into the end of the output hose. Yes, I stretched the 3/16" hose up to 1/2" :) Boiling water, pliers and patience
- Pulled a second pint, in case the problem was just the first pint
- Left the keg in the fridge to make sure it wasn't beer temp

I got two pints of foam. They did settle down to a nice beer after a few minutes, but I'd still rather have a normal pour.

To make sure it wasn't just me disturbing the keg, I hooked it back up to my faucet and pulled a perfect pint when I was done.

So I'm open to suggestions. What have ya got for me, HBT?

-Joe

Try backing off the serving pressure as much as you can and see what that does. Also, can you get a picture of what the valve looks like when it's open? is it a ball valve or a gate valve?

Looks like a gate valve. There appears to be a small orifice that's closed off by the solenoid.

Link to spec sheet with diagram on first page.

I'm going to guess that tiny orifice is what's causing my cavitation issues. I wonder if anything can be done after the valve to help with that? I guess I could put a long coil of hose, but I'm not sure that's a great solution since it'll be open at one end.

-Joe

I have just read this thread straight through and love the idea and the craftsmanship. But as I was readig I kept thinking that the handle would be his antenna (as you have) and the beer would come out of a cigar in his mouth.

Looks like we'll have to go with plan B. Seems like the tiny orafice in the solenoid valve is forcing all of the CO2 out of solution. Like only half-opening your faucet.

So now do I go back to my original idea of the antenna being the taphandle and beer coming out the cigar? Or do I come up with a better way to do the finger nozzle?

-Joe

I would tinker around with a brake line attached to the tap and some sort of spring to return it. Good luck, great build.

Working on the tap in his head. First we had to do some brain surgery, which required a specialized tool.

mobile35.jpg

After some serious engineering action involving PVC pipe, hose clamps and cabinet hinges...

mobile36.jpg

mobile37.jpg

The whole tap section slides out from the bottom so I can work on it without having to mess around in Bender's head.

mobile38.jpg

The hard part is making the antenna operate the tap. The tap has to push AWAY from the tube, but the taphandle/antenna pulls. So I tried to do a pulley sort of setup and have the tap closed with some rubberbands. It works, but the rubberbands don't close the tap firmly enough. When I add more rubberbands, you have to pull the antenna too hard.

mobile39.jpg

Any other ideas are welcome!

-Joe

Thanks for that. I had considered one of those, but I still have the same problem with opening the faucet and overcoming the spring pressure of the self-closing mechanism.

-Joe

I say either use direct linkage instead of cables, or use a 2nd cable to pull it shut when the antenna goes back to its normal position.

How the F did I miss this thread? Prosted!

What about just hooking the tap handle directly to the antenna, and extending the spout down to the cigar with some beer line? You'd just need to figure out a way to solidly attach the faucet.

Check out http://kegbot.org/wiki/Kegbot_FAQ

They have computer controlled solenoid valves. They went through foaming issues as well.

If you go back to the button idea, I'd build a second button that times the pour for a perfect pint. Press button once and you get a pint! I'd be tempted to put the button as his pupil, and definitely put in a voice recorder.

B

Thanks gang. I actually decided to stick with a mechanical linkage because I don't want the beer dispensing to be dependent on batteries or electrical - when I started this project the idea was for it to be mobile, so if anything electrical ends up going in it'll be for lights and sound.

I got the linkage together and working today. I finally came up with a configuration that's both simple and robust. I'll take pictures shortly, and hopefully a video test!

-Joe

Well, there's less foam but still most of the glass. Now I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. The tap is opening all the way, I'm serving at 5psi and the keg is still in the fridge. I just swapped the liquid out line for Bender.

I also tried putting the tube that goes through his cigar on my taps on the fridge, and they pour fine.

mobile40.jpg

mobile41.jpg

Harrumpf.

-Joe

Only thing I could think of is increasing the line and just wrap it up in benders head.
Can I just say that is the coolest bender kegger!
Lot's of work but hopefully it is worth it.

Ok, decided to go back to basics and stop over-thinking it. It's picnic tap time!

I cut a notch in the bottom of the cigar and fitted the tap in there with some foam discs. It's held very securely in place.

The tube that you see in the pix was removed during testing because it caused a lot of cavitation and foam. But we finally have beer coming out his head! I think once the cigar is painted and shortened a bit it'll look a lot better.

mobile42.jpg

mobile43.jpg

mobile44.jpg

-Joe

Almost done with the cigar! I also added proper eyes and some foam to keep them in place.

I painted the top of the picnic tap grey in the hopes it might look like ash on the end of the cigar with a little wisp of smoke coming off. I like the effect ;)

I built up the body of the cigar around an aluminum tube with electrical tape, then covered it with cloth flower tape so it looks like a real cigar. I then gave it a quick spray of clear laquer to protect it.

Next we work on the arms and hands.

mobile45.jpg

-Joe

Almost done with the cigar! I also added proper eyes and some foam to keep them in place.

I painted the top of the picnic tap grey in the hopes it might look like ash on the end of the cigar with a little wisp of smoke coming off. I like the effect ;)

I built up the body of the cigar around an aluminum tube with electrical tape, then covered it with cloth flower tape so it looks like a real cigar. I then gave it a quick spray of clear laquer to protect it.

Next we work on the arms and hands.

mobile45.jpg

-Joe

THAT... IS.... AWESOME!!

I like the look of the picnic tap.

Here are a few more detail shots of the cigar. Note the clamp and new cigar are taken from a Rock Band drum kit :)

Also, updates will now be posted to my new Benderator Blog so I don't have to post them in 14 different places.

mobile46.jpg

mobile47.jpg

mobile48.jpg

mobile49.jpg

-Joe

Back