Help me pick a kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snyder

Reaction score
I've got a few extra bucks and I'm planning on getting a couple of kits from Northern Brewer. I've only brewed a weizenbier kit, a Coopers pre-hopped kit and apfelwein so far. I mainly like wheat beers, and haven't branched out a lot. I'm not much for very hoppy beers either. I've narrowed it down to:

Dunkelweizen
Tripel
Strong Golden Ale
Biere De Garde
Phat Tyre Amber Ale
Witbier

The top four, I've never tried before. I'm leaning towards the amber ale and dunkwlweizen. So if you were to chose two, which would it be?

The Tripel and Golden Strong are going to take a while, so that's the first question: when do you want to drink it? You could brew two in rapid succession, one to be drunk in fall/winter.

Based on my tastes in beer (not specifically the NB kits), I'd probably go with dunkelweizen + Tripel.

I concur on the Dunkelweizen (now) + Tripel (later) suggestion. And know that you're gonna need to brew again to keep you in your cups until the Tripel is ready.

Amber is a brew-to-glass in one month/5 weeks.
Dunkelweizen is 6 weeks.
Biere De Garde is a 3-4 month wait.
A Strong Golden would need to age about 5-6 months before it hit its prime.
Tripel is 6 months.
I don't like Witbier - the spices are too weird for my tastebuds.

I'd do the two you haven't before. Wit is a great summer beer.

You could also look through the recipe database here and roll your own. Anyone that has posted a recipe is damn proud of it and will help with any questions you may have.

i have brewed the dukelweizen it is more of an amberweizen with the NB kit. The witbier IMHO was much better in overall body and taste. The dunkel was not bad by any means but something I would not brew again without tweaking it. I just brewed another wheat recipe that was even better than the wit, both similar except for the steeping grains I used in the second.

Amber ale is in. Not too sure about the Tripel or Strong Golden Ale. I'd rather have a beer sooner than later. Also my brewing might have to stop while I age them. I don't think I have enough bottles built up yet. Now I'm leaning toward the witbier because it's safer. Such decisions!

if you like wheat beers go with the wit over the dunkel. I have them both still and I will always choose to drink the wit first, it has more flavor than the dunkel.

or do a wheat like this:
6.5 lbs Wheat LME
8oz. Cara Pils/Dextrine (grain steep 30 min 155)
4oz. White Wheat Malt (grain steep 30 min 155)
1.5 oz. Hersbrucker (60 min)
.5 oz. Hersbrucker (5 min)
.25 oz. Corriander (15 min)
.25 oz. Sweet Orange Peel (15 min)
Wyeast American Wheat Ale #1010

pretty simple

There's plenty of time to gather up some bottles. Hit the local store's bottle rooms. I used to buy them back all the time for a dime a bottle. Go to the dollar store and get some powdered oxy. cleaner and voila! Cleaned, de-labeled bottles ready to rinse, sanitize, and fill with your beer.

Latest posts

Back