Hop Trellis Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaineBrewer82

Reaction score
Hi all,

I live in southern Maine and am growing a second year Fuggles rhizome that I recently split. Earlier this spring I moved the rhizome to a new spot with the hope that I would be able to assemble a better trellis in that area. Well a month or so later the hops are growing fast & strong but again, trellis issues I am considering relocating the plants to a hill far from any further issues related to "being in the way". First any suggestions on moving it and does anyone have a current setup on a hill or have any ideas on that subject?

It would likely be best to wait until the plant has gone dormant for the winter to move it again.. Just my 2c, and probably of less value than that because I am still first year with my plants..

NO, that's good advice JamieT. If you move the plant now it can cause root shock and it could die, or have it's growth severely curtailed.

If the bines are over 4', moving a hop plant should only be on an emergency basis (like you have to leave the state under an assumed name).

My hops are on a slope, but it's only 20 percent or so.

Back