Odd gravity readings.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whridlsoncestood

Reaction score
Made up a recipe while at the LHS. Picked up 3 pounds of bavarian wheat DME and 3 pounds of Light DME 1 oz of fuggle hops at 60 minutes, 1 oz of challenger hops of 5 minutes and 5 whole cloves at 5 minutes. Took a S.G. reading and it came out to 1.032. Thought is seemed rather low. It was actively fermenting withing 24 hours. Left for the weekend. And the fermentation had actualy foamed up so much it was comming out of the airlock. Cleaned it up and its still bubbling today 5 days into fermentation but is starting to slow down. My reading today was 1.018. .014 drop after all that very active fermenting. Was my first reading somehow skewed. Temps were not off and the wort was very well mixed with the water and aerated.

Hydrometer is acurate.

OG was probably skewed by inadequate mixing of the wort with topoff water in the fermenter... just a guess, but it's a very common issue and cause of unusually low OG readings..

if you did a five gallon batch, then using 6 lbs of extract would give you a higher original gravity than what you reported. I would need to plug it into BeerSmith to tell you the exact number, but 1.032 is way too low - your measurement must surely have been off.

In any case, your gravity readings have nothing to do with how *good* your beer will be! Here's to another batch of good beer :mug:

Back