Will collagen hydrolysate fine beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsguitar

Reaction score
I just bought this Great Lakes collagen hydrolysate for use as a supplement. It appears to be very similar to gelatin but apparently they have some differences. The hydrolysate is processed further than regular gelatin which breaks down the proteins more and allows it to dissolve in cold liquids. It also doesn't gel. I was thinking maybe I could use it as a fining agent like gelatin. My guess is that it's still charged the same as regular gelatin and would work but I'm not sure. Does anybody know ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to set a record for obscure threads. :D

I'm going to try it in a couple of weeks or so in a new beer. Since it has the ability to dissolve in cold liquids I think I'm going to just put the powder straight into the beer and see what happens.

Let us know how it works. I hope you brew a lot, one pound is going last a long time. :)

Haha! I mostly chickened out. I'd read that pork collagen had a stronger opposite charge or something than beef collagen and thus would work better so I decided to just use Knox combined with just a little bit of this stuff. I only have one Oktoberfest right now and I didn't want to take a chance on it.

Another thing about this stuff, they apparently use bromelain in the processing to keep it from being able to turn to jello. What I don't know is if that means that it still contains some bromelain. If so, it's not listed.

Also, I wasn't thinking in my previous reply. You'd still want to heat it with water to pasteurize it.

I might try it in a beer where clarity is not as much of a concern to see if it works by itself.

Back