Los Angeles County Fair 2008 Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Did anyone else enter in the LA County Fair Homebrew Competition this year? I entered 5 beers last year and got 4 ribbons. This year I'm entering 8. It would have been nine, but the Scottish Ale ran out at bottling. I'm entering the following:

Old Helicon Barleywine 2006
English Barleywine 2007
Russian Imperial Stout 2005
5-Quarter American Stout
Coconut Stout
Munich Helles
Dunkelweizen
Steve's Smoked Ale

Did anyone else enter in the LA County Fair Homebrew Competition this year? I entered 5 beers last year and got 4 ribbons. This year I'm entering 8. It would have been nine, but the Scottish Ale ran out at bottling. I'm entering the following:

Old Helicon Barleywine 2006
English Barleywine 2007
Russian Imperial Stout 2005
5-Quarter American Stout
Coconut Stout
Munich Helles
Dunkelweizen
Steve's Smoked Ale

Hey Brewsmith - I just got the results of the competition. Congrats on the 2nd Best Of Show for your stout! I scored a first in APA and 2nd in Class 25 Specialty with a Rye APA.

KD

I didn't even know! I haven't seen any results yet! Where did you find them? :rockin:

So is anyone local planning on going to the fair? I'm going to make it a plan to get there next weekend, probably on the Saturday, Sept. 6. If anyone else can make it let me know and we'll meet up.

I didn't even know! I haven't seen any results yet! Where did you find them? :rockin:

File is too big to attach.

Your am. stout got first, Dunkelweizen second, imp. stout second, smoked ale third, haha i beat you on that one, :) pm me your email and i will send you the pdf. Great job!

KD

That is awesome! :rockin: PM sent.

It's improvement from last year. 2007 was 3 3rds and 1 2nd. This year 1 1st, 2 2nd, and 1 3rd, including a runner up BOS. Next year I'm taking the whole thing baby! :D

Pretty cool guys. Congrats!

nOOb here,

Been looking for a thread for local Californians, just so I can get an idea of how you guys go about shopping locally and what not. I'm in San Gabriel Valley so Brewsmith is the closest to me I've seen so far.

Hope to make it to the fair to check your brews out.

I finally got the score sheets back. I knew I had four ribbons and a runner-up best of show, but here are the scores:

Munich Helles 32/33
English Barleywine 30/29
American Barleywine 28/28
Imperial Stout 37/40
American Stout 39/39
Dunkelweizen 38/37
Coconut Stout 29/30
Smoked Blonde 36/29

As for the scoring, I'm not really surprised. The ones that scored low were past their prime, or in bottles that haven't fared well over the summer in the garage. That smoked beer was hit or miss. Every comp one judge would love it and one would say it's way too smokey. As it aged it got better, but now it's gone.

As a whole, these are the best scores I've ever got. The winning beers were in the high 30's and this was the first time I scored a 40.

I finally got the score sheets back. I knew I had four ribbons and a runner-up best of show, but here are the scores:

Munich Helles 32/33
English Barleywine 30/29
American Barleywine 28/28
Imperial Stout 37/40
American Stout 39/39
Dunkelweizen 38/37
Coconut Stout 29/30
Smoked Blonde 36/29

As for the scoring, I'm not really surprised. The ones that scored low were past their prime, or in bottles that haven't fared well over the summer in the garage. That smoked beer was hit or miss. Every comp one judge would love it and one would say it's way too smokey. As it aged it got better, but now it's gone.

As a whole, these are the best scores I've ever got. The winning beers were in the high 30's and this was the first time I scored a 40.

Nice scores. I had 35/36 on my winning apa. weird, my ris scored low (30,35) since one of the judges (the 30) was in the group that gave it a best of event at our Oktoberfest. I had to re-bottle for the fair though. I got a second with a 31,34 for my rye apa. I've only had one beer in the forty's (40,42), and it only got second in a very competitive event.

Back