Type of Yeast - Honey Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I picked up an old recipe from a past brewer that he said just a super brew.

It is an extract recipe that has 3 lbs of pale extract, 2.5 lbs of honey, cascade hops for both bittering and aroma, and the kicker is "just one pack of lager yeast". This recipe is from the early 90's so I am guessing the yeast available then were not as diverse as those available to us today. He brewed it at 65 degrees - which I can do. I do not have the capability to brew at lower temperatures.

Any help on narrowing down a yeast would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Steam beer is beer that is fermented at ale temps using lager yeast. I just did some searching and it looks like Yooper uses WLP810 in her steam beer recipe.

The WY 2112 for California Lagers will give a lager taste at temps up to 65. I used it in some lager that I feremented at around 60 to 65 and it came out great.

You could easily use a clean ale yeast at 65, too. White Labs California I/Wyeast 1056 would work fine, or you could go with the dry equivalent.

TL

Back