AG system redesign- looking for inputs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

Reaction score
I'm trying to redesign my AG brewing system. My current system is a three tier gravity feed with the third 'tier' being the ground level. My main concern is to make it safer than the current system, eliminating the need to lift 10 gallons of very hot wort up to the burner after I transfer it to the boil kettle. I also want to steamline it and make it a more closed system to make it less susceptible to contamination.

My plan is to use a single tier frame with a pump system. My questions are:

1. is there any food grade pumps out there cheaper than the March 809 (which seems to be the only pump I can find)

2. Since I'm going to pumps and single tier is there any reason I should not go all the way and do a HERMS or RIMS system as well?

So far I have had good success with my beer without HERMS or RIMS, and though the systems look cool, I have to wonder if they are necessary. I have had efficiency as low as 65% (though not always) and I wonder if that could be corrected by such a recirculating system, or if I should just refine my methods of mashing, sparging, etc.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

Hey there....FWIW:

1. This has been searched and researched. If you can find something just as good but cheaper than a March 809....you'll be a popular man! Look on Ebay and but from a reputable seller. Make sure it has not been used for anything unsanitary, like oil/chemicals.

2. HERMS and RIMS are good, but many have spent time and money on building these methods and found very little improvement. They're definitely not necessary and will add time to your brew day.

Do you have a mill? That's one place you can be sure your money's well spent. My efficiency went up 15-20% immediately, and it's a piece of gear that'll last forever if cared for.

I decided to skip the 3 tier setup and start out with a single tier HERMS system. I can't say whether or not it improved my efficiency, but definitely slowed me down for the first two batches.

Here are a few lessons from my experience:

- Buy more hose and quick connect fittings than you think you will need

- If you use a pump, plan to build a manifold to route your water, mash, & wort without having to change hoses. Every fluid in brewing is hot, and your hands will thank you.

- Make a stand and housing for your pump. The motor on a March pump is very open, and it need to be protected from flying wort :)

Have fun,

Matt

Back