Relatively cheap LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacks

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently was lamenting how expensive my LHBS (shall remain nameless) is, and was scouring the internet for cheaper alternatives (I'm a student, cheaper is better for the most part). I stumbled upon morebeer.com and figured I'd share the info with other extract brewers who also may be trying to keep brews as cheap as possible. The LME I bought was 2.30/lb and as long as you order more than 59.00 worth of product, shipping is free. I think I ended up with 24 lbs for just over $60. In any case, I hope this helps someone else looking for LME and helps them save a few bucks. I haven't tried this LME out yet (brew day will be monday for me), but I imagine that it should be adequate stuff. Happy brewing.

(I am in no way employed, affiliated, or compensated by the morebeer.com company for posting this, just a beginning brewer who found a pretty good deal)

My LHBS sells 33 lb containers of Briess LME for 59.95. Including tax, it ends up less than $2 per lb. Have you asked your LHBS if they can get you bulk extract?

The big 33# growlers run a little under 90, but the advantage with morebeer is I can get multiple kinds (Munich, light lme...) I'll have to check the other HBS, it's just a bit of a haul to get there. Thanks for the heads up though, I thought I wa getting such a good deal.

Moorbeers LME is the best I've used. Yes I've tried all the major online HBS . Nothing comes close. Something about the heavy foil bags they use. Also 0 air in the bag. No light no air and the fact it's fresher than I've ever had. I'm surprised more extract brewers are not using them.

Yeah it worked great for me today. Yesterday I did stop at another lhbs and their price was 80 for the 33# growler. I guess for me it's just nice to open and pour one bag, no measuring required and you can squeeze it out like toothpaste from a tube. If you don't have a lhbs I would definitely suggest it. Good to know that others have had good experience with this malt. Cheers.

Is it a pain to measure out lme with it being so thick, i thoight about getting a 33lb container but thought the ease of not measuring lme worth tge extra few dollars

To me, it's worth it if you order $59 or more at morebeer.com (at $59 they ship for free). I can't attest to how much of a pain it is to weigh LME, since I've only done 3 batches so far. For what it IS worth, however: I ordered 3-8 pound bags and paid 60.xx shipped to my house. For me, that's an IIPA, stout, amber, and a half batch of another IPA. Today when I did my DIPA/IIPA, I put my cane sugar in, my honey in, and just ripped the bag of LME open and poured it in then wrung it out like a tube of toothpaste to get all the extra out. If you're a beginning brewer like I am, it is absolutely worth the extra however many cents. Just make sure you start stirring when you add it to your kettle; the last thing you want is anything burning or caramelizing on the bottom of your brew vessel. Long story short darth5aint - Give it a try, worst case scenario you're out 60 bucks with the malt resources to brew 3-5 batches. I'm sold on it though. At least til I get enough moolah to upgrade to all grain brewing. Again, this is just my 2 cents, but if you live in an area where there are no lbhs or it's a major pain to get there, you may very well benefit from ordering through morebeer. Also as a sidenote, I called them because I was impatient that my order wasn't in the mail fast enough (REALLY wanted to get this DIPA into primary), and their customer support and care is great. What else can you ask for?

My LHBS sells 33 lb containers of Briess LME for 59.95. Including tax, it ends up less than $2 per lb. Have you asked your LHBS if they can get you bulk extract?

Looks like I need to head south. I live about 30 miles north of Detroit. The water here is great for brewing, but looks like malt prices are above what you're able to get.

Moorbeers LME is the best I've used. Yes I've tried all the major online HBS . Nothing comes close. Something about the heavy foil bags they use. Also 0 air in the bag. No light no air and the fact it's fresher than I've ever had. I'm surprised more extract brewers are not using them.

Yeah, even though they were the first online LME supplier I'd bought from, I was impressed with the quality of packaging. Can't weigh in on the LME as I just put my first batch into primary today, but if there's a discrepancy I will of course be posting it and warning others about an inferior product - but as of right now I have no reason to believe that there is anything wrong with or inferior about their product. Thanks for weighing in!

Back