Water level sensor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustybeer

Reaction score
Hey there just checking if any of you have come up with a inexpensive sensor to control water levels , I have been looking at Pressure and ultrasonic. not too impressed with the bubble method on the brew troller. would like to here your thoughts.

i don't know, the bubbler setup looks like the best bet for accurate (and crazy cheap) volume measurement. I've got a couple pressure transducers and and 1-wire ADC's to play with when I find the time.

Hey there just checking if any of you have come up with a inexpensive sensor to control water levels , I have been looking at Pressure and ultrasonic. not too impressed with the bubble method on the brew troller. would like to here your thoughts.

There is an alternative method to the bubbler for the BrewTroller, but you would have to be electrically heating (with an element installed through the side of the vessel); It can be seen here.

I have used it, and it does work, it just has a tendency for a small amount of liquid to find its way into the tubing.

Yep a float sensor would work. I'm doing a 16 gallon keg setup so I want to have the options to do differnt size batches.Their has to be someone out there using some ebay used sensors like flowline.

you could possibly do it only with an accurate temperature probe if you are using heating elements and are recirculating. you can accurately measure how many watts of power are going into the water, and you can calculate the rate of heat loss and thermal mass of the container.
take two temperature readings spaced x-amount of time apart. subtract the amount of heat lost during that period of time and factor in the thermal mass of the container. the amount of temperature change over time, plus the amount of energy input, will let you calculate how much water is in the container.

similar theory to volumetric measurements using the pressure readings of a gas. there are probably better ways to do it, and there are obvious downsides that can easily throw the accuracy off, but if those are accounted for then all you need are temperature readings, power consumption measurements and some math.

Latest posts

Back