White Tea Wine recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthboundagain

Reaction score
Ok all I need some help on building a recipe for a white tea wine. My swmbo wants me to try a tea wine. I am not a huge tea fan, so I am making the batch just for her. She also loves a good witbier, so I thought I would make a white tea wine, spiced with orange peel and coriander, and a small amount of honey. So since I am new to wine making, I thought I would ask you all for help. First I searched for white tea wine, and I came up empty, so I may be the first, lol but let’s get to the details shall we.

This recipe will be for a 1 gallon batch, and I would like it to be between 8%-10%.

Ok if I go for loose leaf tea, how many ounces should I start with? If I use bags of white tea, how many?

Secondly how much orange peel and coriander?

When should I add honey, so the taste is in the finished wine?

What yeast would be the best for the delicate flavor?

Yes I know I am asking for a lot of help, but since this is something a little different, I thought I would ask you all for some pointers. Many thanks in advance. :mug:

What about just making her a spiced orange tea? I have my second batch fermenting right now and it is pretty good.... Takes a lot of tea but it is easy to make.... I bought bulk spiced orange tea bags and steeped SIXTY of them in 2 gallons of water..brought em to a boil then turned the heat off and steeped em for 15 minutes.....let the bags drain and added 4 pounds of sugar. heated until the sugar dissolved and put in the fermentor and topped up to 5 gallons with cold water. when the temp was right I pitched red star champagne yeast......Once airlock activity started to slow down just a little I added 4 more pounds of sugar......and once again I added 2 more pounds of sugar a few weeks later...total I have 10 pounds of sugar which probably COULD all be added at once, but I didn't have it when I started the wine :confused:
Let it go until airlock activity stops then rack off of any lees into a clean carboy...wait until you have some more lees and rack again. Bottle when you have no lees for 30 days.... I think this would actually be good dry but I did stabilize and back sweeten as my wife likes sweet wines... I will say the longer it sets in the botle the better it gets.

I just tasted the tea wine.. it is REALLY good. However my ferment has seemed to stop . A month ago it was at 1.030 ( started at 1.090 guesstimate) it is now only 1.028.

I'm a tea addict. I could never get through an entire day without a cup of freshly-brewed loose white tea. The smell alone is enough to make my mouth water and the delicious sensation of fresh hot tea sliding down my throat is something that I always take time to relish during my tea break. White tea has tons of health benefits and is a great source of antioxidants. The ever increasing sale of white tea actually, is due to its ability to produce fat oxidation. This simply means that drinking white tea will act directly on your body to lessen your fats because of its natural oxidizing property. Some of the best white tea can be found at trentonteas.com. Cheers!

Back