Cascade Hops Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
So i was looking thru a new seed catalog for new tomato's and peppers to grow next year.
Anyways i cam across cascade hops in the catalog...But in small print on the bottom it said they cant ship to washington.

Is there certain area's you cant get hops?
Or certain varietys?

Didnt know hops was a bad "weed" :confused:

If you are looking to grow hops, reach out to a local homebrew club. Someone is bound it be growing hops and most are willing to share root stock.

You will have to find a Washington source. Washington, Oregon and Idaho all have restrictions to protect the commercial growers.

ahhh i see, What next...TO protect bud light they going to quit selling us pilsner?
I can see the point of not wanting to hurt a commercial hop growers profit....But if you think of it that way...Why can i buy tomato seeds? I could go to the store and buy a freakin cardboard tasteing tomato...but i want a full flavored tomato that is the size of my hand.

I have got 1 source allready for a tet/haulatower hop plant....but allways looking for anouther kind that i like to use.

Its not to protect their profit, its to protect the plants from disease and infestation.

I think it's more about different genotypes, from different areas, potentially harboring disease and/or parasites that could decimate commercial crops. You are planting rhizomes with hops, not seeds.

Beat me to it!

When you grow hops from seed like you saw in the catalog, you don't know if you are growing male or female plants.

Introducing male hops to a hop agricultural area you would severely damage the commercial crop because the female plants would be pollinated and start producing massive amount of seeds.

Washington tries hard to quarantine the crops here. Even driving down our own highways, they have quarantine areas posted.

Nothing beats pulling into agriculture check station coming into northern California! I brought some apples back from my last trip back home to Washington to visit the family, forgot I had them in the car actually, and when I mentioned them to the agricultural officer he acted like I told him I had four small nuclear devices in the car!! :D

I was flipping though the Nichol's catalog out of Albany, OR, and saw that, too. Then again, I have seen other catalogs, such as Gurney's, tell me they can't ship rhubarb to WA either, so I wouldn't be so offended over hops.

What part of WA are you in? SW, Puget Sound, Central, Tri-Cities? etc.

I was flipping though the Nichol's catalog out of Albany, OR, and saw that, too. Then again, I have seen other catalogs, such as Gurney's, tell me they can't ship rhubarb to WA either, so I wouldn't be so offended over hops.
QUOTE]

I am not exactly offended over the fact they wont see me a hop rhizsomes.
I dont live to far from idaho...so if i really wanted i could get them anyways.

The point is, Rhubarb, aspargrass, hops? It is a plant..... I intended to use it for my own personal use...not to buy 400 plants and disease the next door farmers crop.

Just wierd how some things work.......:drunk:

In the news yesterday, The state is trying to make weed leagle.
Yea...You just go to you freindly liquor store and buy a gram or too of some nice hash and walk out the door.

Supposed to generate some tax revenue.....
I think i will generate some unemployment....
" son we are gonna have to fire ya today....Looks like yer random drug test came back and you did week sometime in the last month....Your fired...Even tho all you do is put food on the shelf"

So if i am gonna talk to some growers, I hope they didnt see that artical....Dont want all the hop farmers to start growin weed for the state :confused:

You can get Rhizomes from hopsdirect.com in the spring. Email them from their web page and they will put you on the mailing list. They are in Washington and that is where I will be buying mine from this spring.

Here is why you can't import them.

Hop Powdery Mildew (HPM)
HPM, a serious fungal disease of hops, was detected in late July [year] at several commercial hop yards in the northern Willamette Valley. This detection is the first confirmed report of HPM in a commercial hop yard in Oregon. This disease has the potential to be extremely damaging to hop yields and is a threat to commercial hop growers, hop enthusiasts and the brewing industry.

After the dramatic HPM outbreak in the Yakima Valley in 1997, Idaho and Oregon were the only two areas of commercial hop production that remained free of this aggressive pathogen. But now, with the detections of HPM near Puma and Bonner's Ferry, ID, and the detections in Marion County, Oregon, the pathogen has spread to all U. S. hop production regions.

Exclusion and Control
All three states with commercial hop production maintain quarantines prohibiting the importation of hop plants, rhizomes and cuttings. The USDA also maintains a Federal quarantine, which regulates the foreign importation of hop plants and rhizomes. Until very recently, control had been achieved by exclusion.

With the introduction of HPM into the Pacific Northwest, all hop growers, including non-commercial growers, will need to consider a number of changes in their cultural practices, including:

•Removing all highly subsceptible varieties and replanting only resistant varieties
•Roguing out all off-type or unidentified hops as their susceptibility is unknown.
•Destroying all feral or or escaped hops in the production areas.
•Plowing out aerial buds in the early spring to reduce overwintering inoculum.
•Applying registered fungicides to all varieties per label directions (i.e. every 10-14 days, if HPM is observed in the growing area).
•Composting or kiln-drying all hop leaf and vine material before returning it to the yard for plowing.
•Removing or plowing all diseased material that remains in the yards after harvest.

Sorry that was so long but now you know. :mug:

You can get Rhizomes from hopsdirect.com in the spring. Email them from their web page and they will put you on the mailing list. They are in Washington and that is where I will be buying mine from this spring.

Here is why you can't import them.

Hop Powdery Mildew (HPM)
HPM, a serious fungal disease of hops, was detected in late July [year] at several commercial hop yards in the northern Willamette Valley. This detection is the first confirmed report of HPM in a commercial hop yard in Oregon. This disease has the potential to be extremely damaging to hop yields and is a threat to commercial hop growers, hop enthusiasts and the brewing industry.

After the dramatic HPM outbreak in the Yakima Valley in 1997, Idaho and Oregon were the only two areas of commercial hop production that remained free of this aggressive pathogen. But now, with the detections of HPM near Puma and Bonner's Ferry, ID, and the detections in Marion County, Oregon, the pathogen has spread to all U. S. hop production regions.

Exclusion and Control
All three states with commercial hop production maintain quarantines prohibiting the importation of hop plants, rhizomes and cuttings. The USDA also maintains a Federal quarantine, which regulates the foreign importation of hop plants and rhizomes. Until very recently, control had been achieved by exclusion.

With the introduction of HPM into the Pacific Northwest, all hop growers, including non-commercial growers, will need to consider a number of changes in their cultural practices, including:

•Removing all highly subsceptible varieties and replanting only resistant varieties
•Roguing out all off-type or unidentified hops as their susceptibility is unknown.
•Destroying all feral or or escaped hops in the production areas.
•Plowing out aerial buds in the early spring to reduce overwintering inoculum.
•Applying registered fungicides to all varieties per label directions (i.e. every 10-14 days, if HPM is observed in the growing area).
•Composting or kiln-drying all hop leaf and vine material before returning it to the yard for plowing.
•Removing or plowing all diseased material that remains in the yards after harvest.

Sorry that was so long but now you know. :mug:

Yikes...never thought that much about all that.:drunk:

Back