Millenium Hops, noob purchasing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought some hop pellets today in Blacksburg VA from a HBS since they were much cheaper than some of the online retailers. I am afraid however that I bought some hops that have too much AAU for the types of beers that I like. I like the brown ales (newcastle variety, plus some of the nut browns that I have brewed) but this appears to be a high AAU hop (15%). I haven't seen much in the way of substitutions for recipes for this hop. What types of beers would this work well in? I am open for new brews, but this is not a very common hop in the recipes that I have looked at so far. Any ideas?

BTW, I will be starting AG for my next batch, I am really liking this hobby!!:mug:

there are hardly any familiar hops available right now.

I just bought an ounce of Cascade today. 3.2%AA. They were grown in Argentina.

What you are going to have to do is open the bag and take a tiny little taste - a way small one- and taste all your hydro samples, an taste the finished brew, and then you will know.

15% AA would not be my first choice for a brown ale, but it might come out OK.

Yeah, I don't think that that hop would be great for a brown, but I am definitely open for suggestions on a different type of ale that it would be better suited for. Poindexter, thanks for the super quick reply

also, I paid $2.55/oz for Target U.K. pellet hops - bought all they had (2oz) today, Northern brewer wanted $7.25/oz :eek: This year will be crazy for ingredients!

IIRC, Millennium is a "bigger" version of Nugget.

You might want to consider offering them up for trade..your high alpha for some thing more approp to your desired styles.

Back