How to Rescue a Bad Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneShoeBrew

Reaction score
I brewed a Honey Porter a few months ago and the finish continues to have a solvent flavor in it, likely due to high fermentation temps (Texas Summer). Anyway, while brewing this past Monday I had an idea to pour some leftover coffee in it to see how coffee accents the porter's flavor.

Like magic, the coffee masked the solvent taste and it was drinkable again!

So, just curious what other techniques are out there to rescue a bad brew. Maybe add fruit puree to a lousy ale, freeze a buttery pale ale to hide the off-finish, set it aside for cooking, etc?

Thanks,

blending it with another beer. useful if a beer is severely under or over hopped. Make the same beer but correct the hop amounts proportionally, then blend the two.

that'd probably work for a beer with too much unfermentable sugar too...just brew a really dry beer, and blend til it tastes right.

I just mixed two beers just now for the hell of it, and it wasnt bad. I could deffinatly taste one over the other though.

Back