Saison Aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I brewed Saison on 11/26/12. It has been in the bottle since 12/20. I tried it tonight, no bueno batman. How long in the bottle is typical for those crazy Belgium flavors to meld and mellow?

I brewed a Saison not too long ago (still aging) and was wondering the same thing. I know some of the styles that better with age, but I am clueless on the Saison's. Curious to hear the answer to this!

Saisons were originally made to store for a fairly long time to have ready at harvest time, but I'd figure a Saison that isn't any good at 4 weeks in the bottle and 8 weeks since brewing probably isn't going to turn out bueno.

I disagree. I sampled several saisons recently from a CO microbrewery that specializes in such beers. Many of them were only 2-3months old, with respect to the brew date. Well balanced and integrated were some of the descriptors I recalled. So saisons certainly don't NEED lengthy ageing.

Brewtah said:
I think next time I use wyeast 3711 I will pitch more and keep max temp under 80 F. I will try it again in a week or two.

These are good ideas if you want a smoother beer. My three batches of 3711 Saison fermented at 72, were ready to drink in two weeks, and 2 won me gold medals at about 6 weeks.

I find that most Saisons do not need a lot of aging to be good, but with aging they change. I brew a lot of them and they are very drinkable as soon as they carb up. I always bottle 1/2 the batch in 12 oz bottles that are meant to be drunk when they are younger, and then the other half goes into 22oz bottles that go in the cellar.

A lot depends on the yeast you use and the temp you ferment at.

What yeast did you use and what was your fermentation schedule?

I'll stand by what I said previously, Saisons were originally made to store for a fairly long time to have ready at harvest time.
I didn't say that they can't be good soon after brewing.
"Saisons were brewed at the beginning of winter in a farmhouse brewery in order to quench the thirst of the farmhands who worked in the fields in summer." According to Yvan De Baets in the book 'Farmhouse Ales'.
A saison can and should be good young too, but can significantly change with time.

pdxal said:
I'll stand by what I said previously, Saisons were originally made to store for a fairly long time to have ready at harvest time.
I didn't say that they can't be good soon after brewing.
"Saisons were brewed at the beginning of winter in a farmhouse brewery in order to quench the thirst of the farmhands who worked in the fields in summer." According to Yvan De Baets in the book 'Farmhouse Ales'.
A saison can and should be good young too, but can significantly change with time.

My point wasn't to disagree with aging (although I think the post above is better as it focuses on change), but to say that a Saison that's unpalatable from the start isn't likely to get much better. The changes I've seen over six months or so are usually intensification of the funkier/spicier side.

My point wasn't to disagree with aging (although I think the post above is better as it focuses on change), but to say that a Saison that's unpalatable from the start isn't likely to get much better. The changes I've seen over six months or so are usually intensification of the funkier/spicier side.

Agreed!

That was my point in my last post. That is why I bottle half to drink young and the other half to age. They do change over time.

That is also why I brew a lot of Saisons this time of year. I have 2 fermenting right now and will brew several more over the next few months.

All right then. I used wyeat 3711. Pitched at 68 F. Ramped up to 75ish topped out at 81 F. First sample was amazing. It is one spicey SOB now. OG 1.081 FG 1.002.

Brewtah said:
All right then. I used wyeat 3711. Pitched at 68 F. Ramped up to 75ish topped out at 81 F. First sample was amazing. It is one spicey SOB now. OG 1.081 FG 1.002.

Sounds awesome!

Brewtah said:

Is it spicy or does it just taste like booze? 10%+ is pretty big for a saison.

Mostly spicy clove. I used 3 grams of grains of paradise. A little hot from alcohol, not bad, I expected that. I got a little carried away at the LHBS:cross: not as fresh tasting as the sample prior to bottling.

Back