First Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindflux

Reaction score
Alright I'm about to embark on my first cider. I picked up some pasteurized but non preserved cider from my local grocery. I read on another forum that pasteurization is fine as long as I'm not trying to do a wild yeast cider.

I've got it planned to add some cinnamon to the secondary at some point.. but that's about it.

What yeast should I use? I read a lot of folks pitch a champagne yeast.. however I'm not sure which one to use. I'd like to keep my cider a bit sweet, so I may add some concentrated apple juice before bottling to give some sweetness back to the cider unless I kill the yeast off early with potassium sorbate (campden tablets).

Thanks!

I was lookin to do a dry yeast. Looks like I'll be ok using some nottingham I've got layin around. Thanks for the recommendation.

Stay clear of champagne yeast if you like even a hint of sweetness to your cider.

Why cinnamon? Leave your apples to walk the walk alone i reckon.....

But good luck, no problem with your plans!

hey falafel ;)

So the cider is under way.... starting to bubble a bit thanks to nottingham!

I forgot to take a gravity reading, but it seems most ciders fall between 1.040-1.050(ish).. so I don't think I'll concern myself with it.

I just got through drinking one of mine with that yeast. They've been in the bottle about 1 week. They are dry, but they are tasty. The nice thing is that since I added 5 lbs of brown sugar, I can already feel it! :drunk:

Mindflux said:
So the cider is under way.... starting to bubble a bit thanks to nottingham!

I forgot to take a gravity reading, but it seems most ciders fall between 1.040-1.050(ish).. so I don't think I'll concern myself with it.

What is the status on this one mindflux?

I just pitched a packet of nottingham in a gallon (minus a couple of cups) of cider. I can't wait to try this. If it is any good I'll do more. :drunk:

Still fermenting away. Last I read the gravity it was 1.022 by hydrometer. Bubbling about every 8-9 seconds now.

Once the fermentation slows more I'll move it to secondary for a long storage.

I have pitched a nottingham in my cider it is just about ready to bottle, I will let you know tomorrow actually. been in the secondary for 2 1/2 weeks

Welp, Cider's been in my secondary for 2 months now. Time to rack it off the lees and whatnot, add my sparkalloid hotmix and watch it clear up. It's still got plenty of time to sit, but I thought I'd chime in.

Still haven't racked it and added hotmix. I may postpone this till mid March, after I'm done doing a bit of traveling.

Most folks will agree that ciders are best with 9+ months of age on them, they become 'wine like'. Sooooo, patience is key here.

Added my Sparkalloid Hot Mix on Sunday, I think it was. Maybe saturday. Cider is certainly getting clearer day by day. It was quite a surprise to see the difference overnight, though. Humogous.

Back