Shoud I move my Oud Bruin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthMalt

Reaction score
We're having the floors refinished this weekend and just about everything is moved out that needs to be. Then there's my beer...

I have a carboy full of Oud Bruin that's been sitting upstairs nestled in a quiet nook since March and it still has a ways to go. There's a nice surface crust that's developed over the past few months that I'd hate to disturb. It's ok where it is and won't be a problem for the workers, but the windows will be open most of the weekend and the AC off most of the time. It's supposed to hit close to 90 here for a few days with lows around 60.

Do you think I should leave it where it is or move it to the basement where the temperatures will be more for stable. I feel like it's virtually impossible to move without disturbing the surface film. It was always in such a good spot until now...

I just moved an 8 month old sour from dining room to basement, just be gentle and the pellicle should remain intact.

If its in a carboy with an airlock, why are you worried about disturbing the pellicle? Presumably it has little to no oxygen in the headspace. If it does, and you're worried, you could always flush out the oxygen with some CO2 from a tank.

Back