Beardsley Brew house - Garbage pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixs4r

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale - 05 - 2 packs
Yeast Starter
Rehydrate
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Very well balanced, sweet up front that does not linger, faint smoke on the back end
Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
22 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 91.7 %
2 lbs Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.3 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 21.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Perle [7.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 11.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [4.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 2.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [4.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7 -

Not sure where to categorize it has it's too strong and light for an american pale ale, but whatever i'm calling it that.

This was quite a left fielder for my girlfriend and I, and is the first recipe I've decided to post here since it was our original idea and it came out quite well. Will be keeping it on tap, however will be very hard to reproduce for the following reasons:

All hops added except the columbus were hop pellets that were left over that had been ziplocked and left in a freezer. We were also pretty much flat broke when we noticed our beer supply was running low so we didn't want it to run dry!

Our initial recipe lacked any specialty malts and columbus but I felt it wouldn't be a good beer unless we added something to it. Originally was to be brewed with some crystal 60L, but when we went to go buy it we noticed some cherrywood smoked malt sitting on the bottom tub of our local home brew shop, Hoptech in dublin.

So we said, hey, why not, and replaced the 60l with the smoked malt.

Results were fantastic.

Initial gravity was 1.065, which was higher than anticipated, and safale dropped it to 1.002, which was odd but several folks have reported abnormally high attenuation. If anything, the beer is too dry but it makes it a great summer beer!

Back