Will mashing temps sanitize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mashing temperature will not sanitize the mashtun, but it does not have to be sanitized to begin with! After the mash, you move on to hop boils. Therefor, you don't have to worry about keeping the mash sanitary because it is all pre-boil (i.e. pre-sanitary) anyway.

No prob, man - you're talking to the guy who once siphoned 6 gallons of wort into a 5 gallon container. refer to THIS thread for more info on how to tell you are or aren't a n00b. we've all had out brewing all-star moments!!! :D

Yeah--one of the reasons the mash/sparge portion of brewday is the most relaxing part is that you don't have to fuss with sanitation at that stage.

indeed! i rinse the tun out after use, if it was a real dark beer i'll toss some oxyclean in there and scrub it out, rinse, and put it up for the next brew.

it only gets sanitized if i use it to soak bottles in idophor before bottling. ;)

Back