Favorite bittering Hops for IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Bittering Hops

• Columbus

• Chinook

• Cluster

• Challenger

• Nothern Brewer

• Galena

• Nugget

• Perle

• Centennial

• Brewers Gold

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tony

Reaction score
What are your most favorite bittering hops for use in an IPA or IIPA?

(Multiple choice)

I'm a fan of Columbus & Chinook, but at the last Fresh Hops Fest there was an all Nuggett IPA that was quite fine.

I have pretty much stopped using bittering hops in favor of using all late hop adds.

The bittering I get has a different flavor on it. It's really a smoother more mellow bitter.

So, I didnt vote on this poll

Sean

Centennial. I started using it because another type was out of stock, now I love it!

Brewiz said:
Mine is not listed, I love Simcoe and Warrior, Simcoe is my primary bittering hop.

Darn, I knew I left out a couple good ones! Sorry Brewiz!

I picked Columbus and Centennial, but what about Summit? ~18% alpha acids, and a nice dank orange/tangerine flavor.

I like the Northern Brewer. I have been experimenting with different ones, though. I tried the summit, and it was definitely too harsh of a bitterness.

I think I'll try Columbus with the popularity here. I'm looking for a good hop and am willing to try them all.

I use magnum most of the time but chinook is pretty good if not over done.

azmtnbiker said:
I use magnum most of the time but chinook is pretty good if not over done.

I read that chinook is only harsh at high levels. Otherwise its real smooth.
I think Ill make an all chinook bitter to see how it comes through in a low grav, low IBu beer.
It used to be my fav, but columbus is now.

Torchiest said:
I picked Columbus and Centennial, but what about Summit? ~18% alpha acids, and a nice dank orange/tangerine flavor.

I just tried a brand-new recipe, with 3 ounces of Summit hops, and it was outstanding! This was 4 days into the ferment, and was warm, but the beer was perfect. (Oh for you local guys, it will be at the GAzBF, tomorrow.)(So will I, giving the samples away.)

steve

Dude said:
I'm falling in love with Warrior. Heard great stuff about Summit--need to find some in leaf form.

I hate Perle. Too harsh.

I'm a big Warrior fan too. it's just hard to find in bulk whole leaf...

Summit is the best. I'm going to dryhop my second IPA with an ounce of it. The next time I make an IPA, I want to try Summit and Simcoe together. I think that could be the ultimate, perhaps an S-combo to go up against all the C's that seem to dominate the APA and IPA scene.

Back