Splitting batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lochboy

Reaction score
Ok I have heard that doing a full boil for 5 gallons gives a much better result for extract brewing.
I have two 3 gallon kettles, will i get better results by splitting my batch.

Lochboy

I'm not real sure what you mean. . .

Doing full boils is just extremely convenient. You don't have to top up with water, or have several pots heating, or any of that crap. You can just put your water in, bring it up to temp, steep, add extract, boil, add hops and your done. That's the beauty in full wort boils-- plus you don't have to worry much about sanitation issues with cold water additions.

as far as "better results"-- I'm not real sure what implying. . .

Loch, I think I know what you mean. Take a look at the thread "best type of brew pot". Think this is the link. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23254
Take care.

Bottom line is that you won't really get any better results as far as the quality of the beer whether you do a straight 2-3 gallon boil and then add 2 gallons to your fermenter, split the two boils so you are boiling all 5 gallons in two pots, or getting a bigger pot and boiling all 5 at the same time. You only really get better results and more control as you move into all grain brewing, which I haven't moved into myself either. Still having plenty of fun with playing around at this level. :)

Yeah.
Pros:
More hop utilization, less scorching (lighter beer), better prepped for all grain.

Cons:
Larger pot, harder to cool (chiller), must do something to get O2 back in unless you're pitching a starter.

Latest posts

Back