Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never smoked deer meat but this cut sounds similar to beef chuck. Smoke it til about 160 or so then place in a foil pan covered with a bed of onions and some braising liquid (beer of broth) til it hits 200 and shreds like a butt.
btw- if you were my neighbor, I'd show up unexpectedly around dinnertime. Sounds delicious.
It's going now! Put on around 1130. Sitting at 130F at the bone.

I try to keep the after brine rinse pretty quick. No more than 20minutes. I patiently waited for hours to get all that salt in there, I don't want to pull it all out, just the excess.

I followed a recipe and that's normally pretty straight forward.

I think this is the one I tried. Maybe there's a problem in the recipe I didn't catch. In hindsight it seems like a lot of salt in there (which makes sense in the result).

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/honey-ham-ribs/
Whooooooaaaaa, Nelly! That's a lot of salt! I can see why you dumped it.
  • ¾ cup coarse salt (sea or kosher)
  • 1½ teaspoons pink curing salt (Prague Powder No. 1 or Insta Cure No. 1)
I can possibly see that much if I were to boil/simmer the meat, but never that much for smoking. If I were smoking these, I would have gone maybe a tablespoon or two of salt, not measured in pounds!

Otherwise, this recipe looks really good and I might need try try it (sans the salt lick).

I followed a recipe and that's normally pretty straight forward.

I think this is the one I tried. Maybe there's a problem in the recipe I didn't catch. In hindsight it seems like a lot of salt in there (which makes sense in the result).

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/honey-ham-ribs/
Need to soak in water, dump, soak again. That is normal process for pastrami. Corned beef doesn't need that because it's typically getting cooked in water anyway.

If you ever make pastrami by curing a flat, definately soak twice, then rub and smoke.

Not exactly smoking but I slow cooked flat steak on my BBQ. It turned out pretty good. I marinaded it overnight and finished with a reverse sear. While it was cooking I boiled the marinade with some extra sugar to get a sauce.
PXL_20240313_020400665.MP.jpg

Preparing for some cooking on the smoker tomorrow, the big 1.5kg piece of chuck roll will become a poor mans brisket. A second 1kg piece will also be smoked initially but instead of wrapped tossed in a iron pot with some other stuff and become chili.
All done on the smoker since itf you remove the smoke wood it's basically a charcoal oven...
Have been drinking a Highland Jock by Boughton Brewery and a Maximus by Lagunitas while prepping.

Attachments

• IMG_20240328_203238.jpg
    IMG_20240328_203238.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240328_203232.jpg
    IMG_20240328_203232.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Preparing for some cooking on the smoker tomorrow, the big 1.5kg piece of chuck roll will become a poor mans brisket. A second 1kg piece will also be smoked initially but instead of wrapped tossed in a iron pot with some other stuff and become chili.
All done on the smoker since itf you remove the smoke wood it's basically a charcoal oven...
Have been drinking a Highland Jock by Boughton Brewery and a Maximus by Lagunitas while prepping.
I'm sure it'll be delicious!

Can you give a little more context on the pictures? Is that something where you're brining the meat in the smaller pot or perhaps putting together some sort of seasoning/rub/paste that was put on the meat on the other side?

It might be the Highland Jock and the Maximus, but I'm trying to decipher the process here lol ;-)

The first pic is chipotle peppers being boiled in stout, seeds and seedhousing removed then mixed in to a paste with some cumin, sugar etc.
The big piece of meat is not brined but I thawed the meat in the packaging it was bought in so just "drying" it a little by letting excess fluid drip off it.

It will be smeared in mustard, rub applied and then smoked a few hours, wrap and rest a little then back on the warm smoker until inner temp 85-90c.
The smaller piece no rub, but smoked with the bigger one, rest, cut up in to a few smaller pieces, thrown in a iron pot with a bottle of beer(the beer in the bottle, not the whole thing), sauteed large cut onion, garlic and the chili paste.
Let sit on the still warm smoker until the meat start falling apart.
Then I have smoked chuck roast and chili!

Will likely use birch and plum wood smoke chunks.

I always pick up a second corned beef at St. Patricks day to make pastrami. I got tired of moving it around fridge so I decided to smoke it this week end. I hated to run the smoker for just that tiny piece of corned beef, so I decided to smoke some beef short ribs I had in the freezer from the 1/4 cow we bought in December. This is the second time I have ever made Beef Ribs. The wife and kids weren't a fan of them the first time. Too Fatty! All in all everything went well. I smoked everything at 240F because I was afraid the ribs wouldn't be done in time for dinner. Everything went on a little before 8:00am and was finished by 1:00pm. Pastrami turned out tender. I used the Katz copycat recipe and smoked to 163F and then wrapped in foil to 203F. I vaccuum sealed it for future Reuben sandwiches. For the Short Ribs I used Meat Church Holy Cow rub and I smoked it to 163F and then put it in a aluminum pan with some beef stock and worcestershire and covered in foil to 205F. Ribs were flavorful and tender. Really nice cuts with very minimal fat. I would probably go a little lower on the temp next time. Live and learn. I forgot to take pics of the short ribs finished product. I have one left for lunch tomorrow. I'll try to remember to grab a pic.

Pastrami.jpg
Pastrami 2.jpg
Short Ribs.jpg

Not this weekend, but for near future.

17lb Prime grade brisket and a couple pork bellies.

Gonna try making bacon with one belly and pork belly burnt ends with the other.

20240413_131526.jpg

20240413_131602.jpg

Not a terrible price for pork belly, wish I could get it that cheap. Same with the brisket. Much more expensive in NJ even at Costco.

Latest posts

Back