simple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyt471

Reaction score
So I was going to make some cider in a simple way, basically just 4 gallons of store-bought cider with no preservatives in a carboy with some brown sugar and ale yeast for 3 weeks. but i also wanted to add some apple pie spice to it. when should I add the spice? can i just add it to the carboy with the cider and yeast? or should i wait until bottling?

if it were me, i would add your spices to secondary for a week or so, then transfer it to tertiary with some pectic enzyme to let it clear for another few weeks. it clears slowly, but is kinda cool to watch. great article about ciders in the sept/oct issue of zymurgy.
zac

I'd use whole/cracked/sliced spices instead of the powdered stuff. You can make a sort of "teabag" using a hop bag. That way you can remove the spice when the desired level of flavour has been reached; the only way to remove powdered spices is filtration. And powdered cinnamon make a nasty mess. Regards, GF.

Back