WTF... problems with rust in SS kegs around welds and HW heater element help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flananuts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there

One question. If a weld isn't ground completely flush or to remove any of the exterior material when welded, will that material rust?

Question 2 for electric brewers using SS kegs. Should I be getting surface rust on my element? If I use Bar keepers friend before a brew and when finished clean out and dry, will I continue to have problems? My single tier is so close to running, but this latest drawback is a PITA. Help and I can post pics of it if you need em.

Thanks

Flananuts

For Q1: A proper weld made with the proper rod and not contaminated with another metal should not have to be ground or have any material removed. It does need to be passivated to restore the chromium. If the weld is rusting, the welder used the wrong rod (or wire) or they cleaned, brushed, ground or sanded the weld and/or welding area with something that contains ferrous metal or was contaminated by ferrous metal.

To clean it; scrub it well with a white scrubby and Bar Keepers Friend. This should remove the surface rust and repassivate the stainless. If it keeps coming back or is really deep, then the weld is contaminated and short or removing it and starting over, you'll have to keep up the BKF scrub routine.

Q2: Don't have an element and can't answer that.

#2 The element itself should not rust, they are not mild steel. The face of the element will rust if you don't prevent it somehow. Water heaters use an anode. You could also use JB-Weld over the top of it (making the installation permanent). Also take a look into POR-15 "POR-15 is completely inert when fully cured. It gives off no chemicals or vapors."

bumping this because when i went to use my heatsticks today, they had a bunch of surface rust on them... what'd you end up doing?

Back