Adding honey to beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol' rummie

Reaction score
I made a Honey Brown Ale yesterday, today I added my pasturized honey at high krausen. The honey just sank to the bottom the the carboy, and there it sits with the trub ontop of it.
Will the honey eventually mix with the wort, or should I stir it a bit(I haven't yet for fear of oxidization)?

I would guess that the best way to add honey would be to dissolve it in some boiled water, similiar to adding priming sugar.

Would another choice be to rack it off the trub unto properly prepared honey? Yes, I know, it would be disturbing the beer and further risking oxidation, but it would achieve the results desired I think.

When I brew a beer that has honey in it , I put it in at the end of my boil or for a more strong floral flavored beer I add it 15 min before the end. Now that yours is in the bottom of the carboy the only thing I can think of is to plug the carboy and swirl as best as you can to blend in the honey and keep the beer from oxidizing. I would think it will take multiple times during the fermentation process.

Will the honey eventually mix with the wort, or should I stir it a bit(I haven't yet for fear of oxidization)?

If it's still fermenting, it's producing a blanket of CO2 on top of the beer. If you stir it gently without disturbing this blanket of CO2, there will be virtually no oxygen contact.

Back