Bo Pils with NZ hops - help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louie

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking of brewing something along the lines of a pils, but with NZ hops...I just got 4oz each of Galaxy, Pacifica, and Motueka. I'm leaning towards something like bitter with the Galaxy, then blend all three for additions at 20/10/flameout (amounts/IBUs to style). Granted, these will be pretty small amounts for it to still be a pils....thoughts? I'm open to anything :fro:

Personally, I'd save the Galaxy for an IPA. Motueka has Saaz parentage, and Pacifica has Hallertau. However, I've found that motueka is much more lemon/lime and then the earthy/spicy in the background, and that the Pacifica has a great orange aroma, but tastes very similar to Hallertau overall. Hope this helps.

These are all nice hops but none are really suitable for a classic Bo Pils. I would definately not use the Galaxy. It is similar to Citra and works great for flavour and aroma additions in an IPA. While not classic I would use the Motueka but that is because it is one of my favourite hops.

Also Galaxy is from Australia not NZ.

If you really want to highlight the hops, just get rid of the 60 mon addition and get all your IBU's from the flavor aroma additions.

Out of all of those I would only use pacifica in that style of beer. I recently used pacifica in an oktoberfest because it was all I had on hand but it did the job well. Those other hops are extremely fruity and as others have said are better for an IPA hop wallop to the face. And yeah even though motueka is described in some places as being a saaz sub it is not really at all.

So if we leave out the Galaxy, what would you suggest for a hop schedule? I do have some Hallertau on hand for bittering...

I must have misunderstood. If you want to make the se Bohemian pilsners you drink at the local craft pub, save your special hops and just get some Saaz. If your expecting a traditional Bohemian Pilsner with NZ hops you're going to be a sad panda.

On the other hand, if you got into craft brewing because your a wild and crazy guy who wants to try avant garde beers that are as fresh and amazing as your Figment (the Disney character) inspired imagination can create, then by all means use the Motueka for 20-10-5 hop additions and forget the 60 min hops.

Also, the reason some say Morueka is a Sazz sub is because it has Sazz parentage and they are crazy. Parentage does not equal similarity.y wife is nothing like her parents thank you Jesus!

On the other hand, if you got into craft brewing because your a wild and crazy guy who wants to try avant garde beers that are as fresh and amazing as your Figment (the Disney character) inspired imagination can create

This, but I'm not really looking to go all "eHerms BIAB no-chill bacon peanut butter and fetus lambic served on cask in a polypin", but rather "mostly like a pils, but with with some non-traditional hops in the finish".

Thanks all for the advice - great stuff in here. I have put a plan together based on what I want the beer to be like and what you have all shared - will brew it and let you know how it turns out!

This, but I'm not really looking to go all "eHerms BIAB no-chill bacon peanut butter and fetus lambic served on cask in a polypin",

I just lol'd

Motueka rocks my socks. Did a SMaSH summer ale with Motueka and NZ mild pale that was kegged yesterday. Looking forward to sipping it. Samples tells me it will be nice and citrusy

Can any of you guys identify the taste of Pacifica? (I do not have an experienced hop palate)

I bottled (2 weeks ago) a only-Pacifica-hopped APA, which is very tasty, but I can't for the life of me put a finger on the taste I'm getting.

It tastes slightly ??fruity?? to me, with a little floral and earth too, but I have no idea if this is the correct flavor. I've had ~6 different people try to identify it with something similar tasting, and all failed...

If you've tried Pacifica what was your impression?

My 2 cents:

All the NZ hops mentioned are FRUITY! They are very distinctive, and altogether wrong for a Pils regardless of their parentage.

I actually have tried very hard to embrace them even in hoppy ales, and don't like the overwhelming fruitiness. I think they work well in Belgians where the hop level is kept subtle. 2 cents y'all.

Back