thumbs up to austin homewbrew supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Well, just wanted to give a thumbs up to them on this board.
i opened my first, out of i'm sure... many boxes of theirs. Everything was packed wonderfully, labeled nicely as well. great instructions with their kits and no complaints for them!
only complaint i have is from UPS, who got to portland 4 days before delivery and made it sit in the warehouse for the whole weekend... but that is on UPS and not them.
:tank:
i ordered the magic hat #9 clone (i drank alot of it back when i lived in ohio) and their nut brown ale that is in the .25 cent beer section. Going to go to my LHBS and grab some hazelnut extract for it.

But just wanted to give some props and say thanks!

5344806347_ba6943573f_z.jpg

i missed the malt extract in the picture, but i'm sure ya'll can imagine plastic tubs of malty stuff :)

(i picked up some of their magic dust hop stuff, which should be interesting :) )

Thanks guys!

ups is terrible... especially if your residential... iv had my stuff sit in a warehouse for 3 days because it was not a two day delivery.... which ended up taking a week to get here.... then when it does it take them till 7pm to deliver it. sorry for my rant, i hate ups, i go USPS or fedex over UPS any day

AHS is great. Their website is very user friendly and their kits rock. Great product and great service. I spent WAYYY to much money there last year.

My only gripe is Forrest still hasn't given in to my t-shirt blackmail yet.... did i mention i once found a dead hippopotamus in one of my grain bags and AHS wouldn't do anything about it....

Yeah, AHS is great. I got an aeration kit for Christmas but ended up trading it in and getting the oxygenation kit. Sent it back, called them to make up the difference, and then found out they didnt have all the parts to make it. I call the next day, at their request, to see how long the parts will take to get in. Come to find out, they had someone come in on a Sunday and make the oxygenation kit, which sent the next day. Their turnaround is pretty quick.

BTW, the missing part was the tubing. They dug it up apparently and got it together.

Just to throw my support for AHS. Have ordered from them twice so far and have been very impressed with their service. Many orders to come.....

Jason

Placed my first order with AHS yesterday. I bought a beer gun and some miscellaneous items for my next 3 recipes.

I've been searching around the different sites for the Beergun for a while, but what sold me was the listing on the website that shows exactly what additional items were needed to hook it up to my kegging system. The detailed diagram showing what the accessory packs have and where they attached sold me. Nothing sucks worse than getting some new equipment and then needing an extra part or two to get it to work.

Since the order was over $100, the free shipping put it right in line with everyone else.

AHS is amazing!! My first extract kit turned out horrible and no one on the forms could figure out my problem, then forrest steps send me a new kit for free! He said it was the sanitizer I was using so he sent me a 8lb sack of sanitizer along with the kit. I decided to let the age on the yeast in the primary so I haven't tried the kit yet but AHS has a customer for life right here!:ban:

my wife ordered the beer gun from AHS for christmas and to my surprise they added a book of brew sheets (the little info sheets you stick on the fermentor) nice! no more sticky notes for me :ban:

I'll throw in my kudos as well. Love their selection and have always gotten super fast shipping from them.

You gotta love any organization with the slogan "brew your own damn beer" :)

I like them a lot. My only complaint is that recently I tried to add onto an order that I placed over a weekend. I called first thing Monday morning. I was told it had already shipped. In reality it wasn't shipped until Tuesday night.

Otherwise, I love their website and prices. I'm a big fan of their wishlist as it's hard to keep tract of all the goodies I want to eventually buy.

i started off with AHS for everything, but now with a keg supply store and LHBS near my work, it's often better to buy from them. specially, grains, i can buy 10 lbs. of grains for a batch, and not have to pay $8 shipping. I generally only use AHS for larger equipment purchases, since they blow my LHBS away on prices.

one thing I wish AHS had, BULK HOPS! Why do they still only sell in 1oz. packages, for $3 no less.. that's quite expensive.

They need to get rid of the ****ing packing peanuts.

Other than that, love AHS.

Do what i do. I put all the packing peanuts in a garbage bag and stop by the local mom and pop packing and shipping store and give them to them. They are happy to get them for free and recycle them by using them again.

Copy Right should send AHS a Christmas card as they/I keep them well stocked with packing peanuts. ;)

i started off with AHS for everything, but now with a keg supply store and LHBS near my work, it's often better to buy from them. specially, grains, i can buy 10 lbs. of grains for a batch, and not have to pay $8 shipping. I generally only use AHS for larger equipment purchases, since they blow my LHBS away on prices.

one thing I wish AHS had, BULK HOPS! Why do they still only sell in 1oz. packages, for $3 no less.. that's quite expensive.

The hops are $1.99 an ounce. Not $3. I will look into bulk hops. What size?

I love AHS.

Flat shipping , until you order $100 and then FREE - I treat them as my LHBS - and I'm halfway across the country!

( Seriously though - in my experiences they have always been A+ )

I had a received a broken hygrometer from them.... I sent them an email and they shipped a new one the same day. Customer service is almost dead in this country glad to see a company who still cares about their customers

9 days shipping for me, but when received package, everything looks nicely packaged, and in really good shape. Going to brew theirs on Friday, rather than a another one I bought at my LHBS. . First time using AHB.

I too am a first time AHS buyer when I popped my cherry a month ago. My 3rd kit is arriving tomorrow. Being in Houston, I get my stuff the day after they ship, so 2-3 days turnaround is really nice. My only gripe is I have to pay sales tax and you out of staters don't. BAH.. When I bought my entire setup (essentially everything I needed including extra carboy and all the doodads I could think of) I almost went to another vendor because after tax the price was a little lower (read:a few bucks and I spared no expense) for shipping and no tax from the other site. I went with my gut to support a Texas company and now I'm glad I didn't screw up and order from someone else.

The packing job is stellar and shows superior attention to detail.

Thinking about getting their Ginger Hibiscus Saison kit and a few others from AHS so I'm glad to hear all the positive comments about them!

Thinking about getting their Ginger Hibiscus Saison kit and a few others from AHS so I'm glad to hear all the positive comments about them!

That is a very interesting beer. I made it with the french saison yeast and it turns out great.

Nothing but good things about AHS. They are good people and take care of their customers.

I realize the peanuts are biodegradable, etc, but that doesn't stop them from getting all over everything every time I open the box. Now I have to scramble to keep them away from the 13 month old.

AHS, if you offered the more popular hops varietals by the pound (Say about $16-20/lb) I would buy a bunch.

My complaint about AHS? Too damn many recipe kits to choose from!

Seriously, their customer service is absolutely first rate. I had a problem with one order and they went well above what was expected to make me happy. I just finished 5 gallons of their 1554 clone which was excellent. Have their English Bitter fermenting right now and will probably try the pecan porter next. In fact, I believe that I'll order that right now!

I was pretty happy to find Horizon Hops at AHS a few weeks ago; that can be a tough one to find! I only needed an ounce, but ordered 5 since they had it!

The hops are $1.99 an ounce. Not $3. I will look into bulk hops. What size?

only others i've seen are in 4oz. and 8oz. chunks. FHBS has awesome hops prices, usually $3-$4 for 4 oz, but they are very limited in equipment/supplies/ingredients outside of hops. So i only get hops from them. if AHS had bulk hops, i would have likely bought them all from you guys, along with a handful of batches to get the $100 free shipping.

Of course, in Nov. I bought about 4.5 lbs. of hops (for ~ $80, shipped), so I won't be needing them for a while! But others would surely appreciate it. They had willamette for $2.65/4oz!

I realize the extra costs associated with packaging in 1 oz. bags. I've been to LHBS, and the whole time i was there, noticed the guy in the corner bagging them up. making $8-$10 an hour, scooping from big bucket, weighing, then vacuum sealing... all for 1 oz. It's no wonder an oz. costs what it does. However, takes the same amount of time to bag up a 4oz. bag, (or 8oz. bag) so that labor and packaging cost is divided by 4 or 8 (roughly).
Bulk hops combined with a $3 ziplock vacuum freezer bag thingamajig at HEB.. and hops is where I've saved the most recently.

But hey, like i said, that my only gripe with AHS, and an easy fix likely on their part! gotta love ordering in the afternoon and having it on my doorstep in houston the next morning:)

Unfortunately, on hops, no matter what I price them at someone will always be cheaper. There are a lot of places that sell them at my cost. But there are bags, labor, labels, etc. on top of that. The price of grain just went up and the prices of hops will go up shortly. I will do my best to hold the prices down while materials, labor and the cost of the hops go up, while maintaining the free shipping offer.

We had one person order $450 worth of merchandise but the cost of the items, shipping, shipping materials, labor, etc was over $500. Sometimes the free shipping deal only works out for the customer. Its all good. Happy to keep brewers happy.

Forrest

Unfortunately, on hops, no matter what I price them at someone will always be cheaper. There are a lot of places that sell them at my cost. But there are bags, labor, labels, etc. on top of that. The price of grain just went up and the prices of hops will go up shortly. I will do my best to hold the prices down while materials, labor and the cost of the hops go up, while maintaining the free shipping offer.

We had one person order $450 worth of merchandise but the cost of the items, shipping, shipping materials, labor, etc was over $500. Sometimes the free shipping deal only works out for the customer. Its all good. Happy to keep brewers happy.

Forrest

I work for two small businesses and I can only relate to what you just said. There will always be someone cheaper. Since you guys took care of me when the hygrometer you shipped me was broken I will surely continue to buy product from you.

I work for two small businesses and I can only relate to what you just said. There will always be someone cheaper. Since you guys took care of me when the hygrometer you shipped me was broken I will surely continue to buy product from you.

Yeh I don't think I meant to say in my post they should be cheaper than another place.. Remember I just thought they should sell in bulk hops. Of course I don't know, but I surely guess if Forrest and Co. packaged up 4 oz. bags of hops, they could sell them less for the price of four 1 oz. packages.

and that's all i suggested, sell them in bulk, and lower the unit cost. With two big names out there doing so (one of them with a big presence on this board), I just think only offering 1 oz. bags may hurt your hops sales at some.

I need to say I love AHS. No gripes at all. Every member of the staff is very, very friendly. I'm lucky to live very close to the shop, and it's sort of between my house and work. My wallet thinks its a curse, though. I've been there three times this week alone.

The shop is big, clean, well organized. I like it better than their old one, which was farther away from me.

Anyways, customer for life here. I wonder what I can go buy today!!

I wish that the shipping to Canada was not so dam expensive. But I think I found a way around it!! there is a Parcel Service just 1 mile inside the US border. Probably be a 3hr round trip for me but I can get free shipping to there and will only cost me maybe $20 in gas. Gotta get those Sam Adams and Blue Moon clones!!!

I have a feeling this was me. :( about a month ago. I had about 9 boxes show up, all packed so well that you'd think they were shipping china to me. I looked at the packaging when it arrived and actually wondered how much that actually cost to do.

If it was me, Forrest, you'll get it back from me in time. I promise! Thanks :)

speaking of the flat rate shipping.. of course it's a great idea.. but honestly, I'd rather see actual shipping up to say $100, then free or flat after that.
Can't think of how many times I need an item under $10, so I have to scrounge around locally for it. (Or find a place that doesn't the flat shipping business). Would be great if I could get a a pair of 1/4" FFL swivel nuts, and pay the $2 shipping that it costs to throw them in a padded envelope and mail em.

I have a feeling this was me. :( about a month ago. I had about 9 boxes show up, all packed so well that you'd think they were shipping china to me. I looked at the packaging when it arrived and actually wondered how much that actually cost to do.

If it was me, Forrest, you'll get it back from me in time. I promise! Thanks :)

You can rest easy, it was a guy in Cali. Its all good. Thanks for your business.

Forrest

I have to agree with the consensus on the board that AHS is great and until recently I have placed almost all of my orders since I started brewing from them. However, lately I have been making very hoppy IPA's or pale ales and even with places that have 15-17 dollars shipping I can get a better deal else where solely because of lower hop prices and grain prices in semi bulk buying. If AHS would start selling semi-bulk or bulk hops I doubt I would ever shop around anywhere else. Other than that I have never had an issue with them and sometimes I will even call for brewing advice and the person on the phone is always happy to help.

Back