Secondary Fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiversC174

Reaction score
For my next batch of beer I think I am going to do secondary fermentation. If I choose to do secondary fermentation next time how long does it need to be in the secondary fermenter? Also, the instructions for my beer kit say to bottle after primary fermentation and let it sit for at least 2 but preferrably 3 or more weeks. If I decide to do secondary fermentation, when I bottle the beer does it still need to sit in the bottle for 2-3 weeks after secondary fermentation, or can the week or so it was in the secondary fermenter be applied to those 2-3 weeks I have to wait after primary fermentation is complete? And, last but not least, one of the above posts mentioned "additional flavors" can be added during secondary fermentation, what things can I add during this time to flavor it a certain way? You guys are lifesavers... haha.

Joe

A lot of people do the 1-2-3 method.

one week in the primary
two in the secondary
& three in the bottles

I like to do three in the secondary, but it's pretty much a matter of choice. Two weeks is fine in most cases...

The longer in secondary, the clearer the beer. Wait as long as thirst allows. It will still take a week or two to carbonate in the bottles, but it will get better tasting after 3 or 4. Start the next batch when the primary is empty, it can stay in the secondary til you are ready, months even... or until you need the fermentator for the subsequent batch....

casebrew said:
Start the next batch when the primary is empty, it can stay in the secondary til you are ready, months even... or until you need the fermentator for the subsequent batch....
My problem exactly! I need to get more fermenters. I also need more room for the fermenters.

I just use cornies for secondaries. They take up less space, are cheaper, stronger and no light/skunk problem.

You can't cut the time in the bottle much below 3 weeks, it takes time for the carbonation to occur.

Back