Blueberry wheat question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowfro

Reaction score
So I brewed an extract beer following the blood orange hefe except I used blueberries instead of oranges. Typically I would have removed the beer from the fruit after 2 1/2-3 weeks, but I was out of town for work and couldn't do it until 4 weeks after brewing. When I went to bottle it I took a sip of the gravity reading it tasted sour. Is this from leaving the fruit in there too long? I still bottled it hoping that it mellows out as it conditions but I'm not sure it's going to be good. Just looking for some thoughts on what others think. Thanks!

Most likely it is from an infection and it won't go away. If anything, it will get worse. Sometimes you can add a non-fermentable sweetener to rescue the batch.

I did sanitize the blueberries by putting them in a separate pot and covering them with water, bringing it to 170° and letting it cool as I did the rest of the brew.

I've never had an infected batch before, so I'm sure the sour sense could be that. I guess my next question would be is that a reasonable plan to make a blueberry beer or should I be proceeding with another plan?

Thanks for the help!

I've read of a lot of problems with adding actual fruit to beer. I plan to make a raspberry wheat this spring but I will be using raspberry extract instead of actual berries to try to avoid problems with the fermentation.

I would still bottle it and see what happens in a few weeks.

Are you sure its not just tarty? How many #'s of blueberries did you use? I made a blueberry hefe a couple weeks ago that is now kegged and its way too tarty for me. I used 2 pounds of blueberries and 1 cup of sugar. If I make this recipe again Im going with 4#'s of blueberries.

I used 4# blueberries. Seemed like a lot but I had read that a lot of the blueberry sense dissipated during fermentation so I up'd it a bit. I still bottled it so I'll check it in a few weeks to see what it comes out like.

Back