Ithaca Brute Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanZarrella

Reaction score
I'm working with somewhat limited information to design a partial mash & extract version of Ithaca's Brute (and eventually Le Bleu). So far what I have is:

4gallon batch:

3.15lbs Pale LME
1lb Light DME
1lb Wheat DME
1lb Flaked Corn
1lb Blonde Candi Sugar
1lb Corn Sugar

2oz 2006 First Gold Whole Hops

1oz boiled American Oak Chips in secondary.

Roselare Blend in primary and Red Star & Wyeast Champagne Yeast to bottle.

I did a partial mash with amalyse and beano with the flaked corn.

Thoughts?

I recently attempted a clone as well. The only info I had was what they said on the bottle (And I only had a few sips, it was a friends bottle). My recipe is pretty similair to yours, for all grain it was 2row, corn, wheat, and rice. Think I used old saaz hops because it was all I had that I had been "Aging".

I did a primary ferment with Brett L. I forget if I read on the bottle it was a brett beer or not, but it definitely tasted to me like it was brett only and no bugs. I cultured the bottle dregs (which I suspect is only the champagne yeasts) and I'll be pitching those soon.

On the whole I think the recipes are pretty much the same, I used a bit higher proportion of corn though. After 2 weeks the Brett had my gravity down to 1.005.

Why the enzymes? To convert the corn?

I recently attempted a clone as well. The only info I had was what they said on the bottle (And I only had a few sips, it was a friends bottle). My recipe is pretty similair to yours, for all grain it was 2row, corn, wheat, and rice. Think I used old saaz hops because it was all I had that I had been "Aging".

I did a primary ferment with Brett L. I forget if I read on the bottle it was a brett beer or not, but it definitely tasted to me like it was brett only and no bugs. I cultured the bottle dregs (which I suspect is only the champagne yeasts) and I'll be pitching those soon.

On the whole I think the recipes are pretty much the same, I used a bit higher proportion of corn though. After 2 weeks the Brett had my gravity down to 1.005.

Why the enzymes? To convert the corn?

Yeah, I used the enzymes to convert the corn, because I didn't use any base malt in my Partial Mash.

The bottle says it's brett, but I think I read somewhere that there was some bugs in it. To my, less experienced pallet, it tasted like bugs, but I suppose that could just have been the acidulated malt.

My last experiment with all Brett (Brett C) didn't get tart or sour really, so I assumed I would need Brett and Bugs.

How did yours taste?

Yeah, I used the enzymes to convert the corn, because I didn't use any base malt in my Partial Mash.

The bottle says it's brett, but I think I read somewhere that there was some bugs in it. To my, less experienced pallet, it tasted like bugs, but I suppose that could just have been the acidulated malt.

My last experiment with all Brett (Brett C) didn't get tart or sour really, so I assumed I would need Brett and Bugs.

How did yours taste?

That reminds me, I used about half a pound of acidulated malt. It tasted funky, but not tart or sour yet (This was only at 2 weeks). Brett doesn't really give you sour you're right, Brett L can give you sour cherry flavor but I don't think I fermented high enough to get those flavors out of it, all I could get it up to was about 72 ambient.

I only had a few sips, but I didn't get too much sour/tartness from the brute (My friend had cellared it for a year). Definetly no vinegar flavors from pedio (which Roselare has). I may add bugs in a couple of months if its not where I want it, I like beers with a nice acidic bite.

An update to this brew, I've finally got a nice pellicle growing on it, white, sorta dusty and veiny.

When I brewed this on 3/31, my OG was 1.058 and by 5/19 it was down to 1.010.

I added Added 3.375 lbs of pured/boiled blueberries (with some water) on 4/5.
Fermentation had slowed, it picked up immediately after fruit addition.
Had to add blow off tube due to increased volume and activity.

And I Added 1tsp of pectic enzyme on 4/20

I've got a new, small, 2.5 gallon oak barrel that has been chilling, filled with white wine waiting to hold part of this batch at some point.
I'm planning to age half of the batch in the barrel and then blend (since the barrel is small and will let a lot of oxygen and tannins into the beer, i figure blending with it is best).

Back