#@&*ing iowa.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

size

Reaction score
WHY does government bullsh*t have to prevent me from getting good beer?

We have a law in Iowa that any beer over 6% must go through the state. The state is one huge pain in the ass, and therefore microbreweries simply don't want to deal with the crap that Iowa dishes out. And what do you think this is all about?

Money.

There's absolutely no moral or even logical reasoning behind a 6% law, think about it. It's ALL about money. And it would be one thing if the government made it easy for microbreweries to sell their beer here, but they don't. They make it one HUGE pain in the ass. Hell I was at Hy-Vee the other day, and asked about Two-Hearted Ale. The guy said "Oh yeah, we had some of that a few weeks ago, but then the state found out about it and recalled it all, so it's just sitting in a warehouse somewhere". WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT? My fridge should have been that warehouse!

Beers that I know we can't get (off the top of my head):
Anything from Stone (they don't want to deal with our ****)
Bell's Two-Hearted Ale
Dogfish Head 90 & 120
The new Sam Adams Imperial Line. It's Sam Adams for chrissake!
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Goose Island Imperial IPA
Flying Dog Snakedog IPA

Okay. I'm done ranting, thanks for listening. Anyone else live in a state like this? I know Iowa isn't the only one.

also on a further note is there somewhere i can order these online for a reasonable price and have them shipped to me? :D wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks for a good beer (when i dont have any homebrew, of course).

You know where your congress lives. There have been several successful campaigns to reform beer regulations in the last couple years. Maybe time to start one in Iowa?

if it makes you feel better, mississippi can't get anything over 6% and everthing has to go through the ABC which means we get BMC.

craft beer offerings in mississippi....

anchor steam
anchor porter
sn pale ale
sn wheat
lazy magnolia southern pecan
lazy magnolia reb ale
lazy magnolia indian summer
sam adams boston lager
sam adams light

Religion can cause the problem, too. Idaho has a large population of LDS, and they hold political office. This influence can cause huge problems, too.

We, too, have a state run liquor agency. Thankfully, beer and wine regulations have loosened in the recent past. However, hard alcohol regulations are F*d up here.

WTF? brew your own... it will be better than store bought anyway!

I pray our government will reenact prohibition... ... then I can make some real money like a Kennedy!

go talk to the guys at cyclone liquor, they might be able to help you out with a few of those. they have many, many 6+% ABV beers there, better selection than hy-vee and much more knowledgeable/friendly staff there. i swear hy-vee sent someone into cyclone to investigate and write down what they had there so hy-vee could offer most of the same stuff for like .40 cents cheaper per sixer, it pisses me off.

Religion can cause the problem, too. Idaho has a large population of LDS, and they hold political office. This influence can cause huge problems, too.

We, too, have a state run liquor agency. Thankfully, beer and wine regulations have loosened in the recent past. However, hard alcohol regulations are F*d up here.

I detest laws that are in place because of religious beliefs. Religion has no place in lawmaking; it's a personal belief. In my city, we can't purchase alcoholic beverages on Sundays. We can't even buy it in a restaurant. When I first moved here, I was informed of this. My reply: "What?! Are they worried that I'll hit a church goer on the way home or something? For Chrissake!"

Things like this make me hate or BS political system.

Its funny because Iowa hits it big the the gay marriage yet cannot have good beer, what is to become of our system.

I love New Mexico. The only liquor law I'm aware of is that you can't buy booze on Sunday before noon. Hell we had drive through liquor stores til a few years ago.

If you read the news on this beer from out of state could be higher than 5%, but this law changed stating beer brewed in the State of Iowa can be higher now. ;)

This law changed both beer made in and brought into state to be up to 16.75% and not have sales go through the State to distribute.

It was passed so quickly that stores in the state were PI$$ED because they had kegs that they essentially had to get rid of in a few days to make any sort of profit.

So yes, this improved Iowa-Made limits, but also made it a heck of a lot easier to bring in higher-gravity brews.

yeah, the few liquor store owners i've talked to said the distributors are going crazy trying to figure out how they're going to deal with the new law. the state basically dropped everything and left it for the distributors to clean up. definitely some excitement around though!

Back