Freezer Collar Lid Attachment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo brewer

Reaction score
After viewing many threads, here are my plans for a collar on my 10 cf freezer: (I plan to have 4 taps in collar)

Collar to be built from 3/4" x 3" tall MDF with glued & doweled butt joints.
Attach collar to lid with (8) 3/4" alum. angle pieces with screws, each piece 4-1/2" long. Embed collar to lid in bead of silicone. Silicone the inside with a fillet bead.
Install some sort of insulation on inside of collar.
move seal from lid to bottom of 3/4" wide MDF.
MDF painted with either oil based paint (or Masonry Paint).

QUESTIONS
Do I need to widen the bottom 3/4" wide edge to install the seal?
Any special tips on installing the seal?
What is the best paint to use?
What is the best insulation to use?

My objective is to keep it light so I may avoid a "stick prop" when opening the lid.

Hmm, MDF and Light don't belong in the same sentence but otherwise I think you're doing OK. In fact, with a full bead of silicone, you don't need any other fastening. The lid itself is just a thin metal shell filled with foam. The hinges attach to the collar so the top is just going for a ride. I put the stock seal back on with staples but I'd probably use some contact adhesive if I did it again.

what are you planning for insulation inside the collar? Just asking because this has just become my new project

I don't know yet. I'm stopping at Lowes after work to see what they have. Anyone have suggestions on this and the "correct" paint?

I didn't use any insulation on my collar, I don't think most people do.

Do, however, make sure you seal up any seams on the inside of the freezer with silicone. Otherwise your freezer's insides will be a rusty mess before long.

I just used the cheapest white gloss spray paint I could find. Looks good as new after a year. I didn't insulate the collar, all the cold air is down in the chest anyway. Now, air gaps you don't want.

2x4 is a perfect thickness for most chest freezers. No insulation needed either.

A 2x12 may give you more room to fit 2 cornies on top of the compressor hump. Just a thought. Here's some pics of one I saw at NHC.

Keezer1a.jpg

Keezer1b.jpg

Wow......that is impressive. Did the owner of that one say why they decided on separating the taps like that? Was it for routing purposes?

Wow......that is impressive. Did the owner of that one say why they decided on separating the taps like that? Was it for routing purposes?

The kegerator belongs to the club and is on wheels. By putting 8 faucets on the front corners, you can get more people around it to serve themselves at meetings, parties & such.

I thought it was weird at first, but it makes sense for that purpose. I was more interested in the height of the collar which reclaimed space for 2 more kegs.

I thought it was weird at first, but it makes sense for that purpose. I was more interested in the height of the collar which reclaimed space for 2 more kegs.

yes, when space is limited like that, fitting 2 more in there is is definitely worth it.

You should of gone covert style and slapped a HBT sticker on that sucka!!

ha

Back