wort chiller, kettle mod question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hagen505

Reaction score
I just bought a wort chiller today. Yea! No more bringing in buckets of snow in from outside! I was going to buy some tubing and make one myself, but when I checked the price on 25ft. of copper tubing, it was real close to the $65 for a pre-fabbed one. A book I had said that for $15 and some time you could make one yourself..I think the price of copper went up big time. Anyways my question is, should I cut out a piece from my lid for the copper tubeing to exit? or do you just drop the whole thing in their and press the lid firmly against the plastic tubing? I realize that while typing this it seems like kind of a simplistic question, but I am curious what everyone else does with this.

My kettle came with a notched lid. I don't think it is necessary but it's handy to keep the lid in place while cooling.

hagen505 said:
I just bought a wort chiller today. Yea! No more bringing in buckets of snow in from outside! I was going to buy some tubing and make one myself, but when I checked the price on 25ft. of copper tubing, it was real close to the $65 for a pre-fabbed one. A book I had said that for $15 and some time you could make one yourself..I think the price of copper went up big time. Anyways my question is, should I cut out a piece from my lid for the copper tubeing to exit? or do you just drop the whole thing in their and press the lid firmly against the plastic tubing? I realize that while typing this it seems like kind of a simplistic question, but I am curious what everyone else does with this.

I've seen guys use tin foil for a lid while cooling. I wouldn't cut my lid.

I keep the lid off, you will cool much faster with no lid and a place for the steam to go.

I begin chilling w/ no lid. As the temp drops I will usually just place the lid on top of the copper chiller pipes. If you do cover at all, be mindful of any condensate forming on the lid, this " I have been told" contains DMS and tastes bad.

Mike

Thanks for the replies, I have always been hyper sensitive about removing the lid once it comes off the burner. You've obviously had good success with not using a lid to cool, or just leaving it open a bit without any contaminent issues so I'll give that a try.

Latest posts

Back