Help identifying/remedying infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsRoz

Reaction score
I noticed these white rings around the neck of my tertiary bottles... They're each one gallon and there are 4 of them.
At first it looked like condensation but upon agitation I can actually almost flake it off. What is this crap and how do I get rid of it

image-2287869148.jpg

image-3525847321.jpg

On further inspection it's definitely not just a ring aroun the neck but a thin film across the surface of the liquid

If it's ready to rack, I'd rack it off that stuff and top it off. If you haven't added k-meta then do so. Sometimes if fermentation is completely done you may wind up with acetobacter (vinegar) that will rob you of your alcohol slowly. This usually doesn't mean the cider is undrinkable but may get more tang to it. I had something that looked like this but it went away after i racked and topped it off with co2. Did you use unpasturized cider?

Unpasteurized and I'm trying to remain organic so I'm gonna avoid kmeta... So I racked one out, topped It off I zero headspace in a fresh sanitized glass jug, another one I just topped off and one i left alone, and the other I planned on bottling ASAP. Just trying to cover the bases so at least some is saved and so next time I know what's most efficient.

I also went out to. The beer store and got "brux" which is an ale made with Brett in the bottle, and also jk scutty nose farmhouse apple cider (I know I'm butchering that name I'm just too lazy to look at the bottle) to try to develop my palate for the off flavors I would expect a Brett infection or wild yeast to impart.
In all I'm not AS upset as I was when I saw it I just am convinced its a lacto infection, and my cold crashed portion was unaffected.

Update: zero headspace appears to be no change, both ones that I topped off (one racked to sanitized unused jug and one just topped off) with cold crashed uninflected cider now seem to be infected again with the same small film in the air-cider interface... What do I do, really don't wanna waste the entire batch, I already set aside one of the infected gallon jugs to see what happens untouched :(

If you don't want to go chemical, you have to go heat - you need to pasturize those bottles. I'm not totally sure on temps/times, but if you have a 4 gallon pot, you can put some water in it and then make like you are canning. heat it up, and put in your gallon container gently.

This guy here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/ does it with bottles and pasturizing. I think he does 10 mins starting at 190 and letting it cool from there.

Good idea, the ones where I'm not gonna let the infection progress are scheduled to be pasteurized...
Really curious what the one I'm lettin go is gonna taste like, any ideas? I still haven't opened the top since I racked to tertiary, will the intruder eventually run out of oxygen and die off?

It could be a yeast film. I've seen some of my ciders manifest this in the past and I've kegged and bottled with no ill effects.

You haven't tasted it - really?

Best thing to do would be to keep some campden tablets (k-meta) around and if it tastes or starts to look weird give it a hit of that and bottle it in 24 hours. If you have some on hand you can fix problems with it. I wouldn't fear sulfites, just like I don't fear the foam of StarSan. Adding it prior to fermentation will cause rhino farts and youll need to age 3 or more months. But it will be more stable for the long run. I would never pasturize for the dry ciders that I make, but some people do it for sweeter ones to stop the fermentation..

Why wouldn't you pasteurize dry cider as opposed to sweeter ones

If your cider is a low abv then it is more prone to infections. With the jug you set asside to see what happens, try adding more suger. Let the yeast feed untill you have an abv above 12%. I had one batch I was just goofing around with and did not get the abv high enough and it did get some weird stuff on top. I racked it off and added more suger. Problem solved. Just be aware of foam up when you add the suger!!!! It will be more like wine then cider.... But at least you will not have lost it!

Back