Mini Fridge Conversion to Fermentation Champer - Wiring Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebby5

Reaction score
Hello All!

A friend at work gave me an old dorm fridge and I was going to convert it to be a temp controlled fermentation chamber. I've seen plenty of videos on YouTube on wiring up a Ranco with power coming in and a outlet or power strip coming out of it. All the different videos suggest that you just plug your fridge into the power strip (output of Ranco) and place the probe inside the fridge.

I'm not worried about wiring up the Ranco but what about the fridge wiring?

Do you just plug it into the the power strip? What about the fridge thermostat? Do I have to bypass it or disconnect it?

Any help is appreciated.

I need to cut out the condiment trays off the door of the mini fridge and put a wood collar on to give my fermenter buckets a little more room.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

You no longer need to worry about the thermostat as the Ranco is now the thermostat. I just set mine to about 3/4 of full power and left it there not exactly knowing what else to do and it works fine. I haven't had to play with it.

Basically, the Ranco detects the temperature from the probe and turns the fridge on and off accordingly. Just plug it into the power strip, set the temp on the Ranco and you're good to go.

Back