What is feasting on my hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirBC

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Weather here has been mid 60's for several weeks, not too warm at all with little/no rain. I just noticed this today:

IMG_0623.jpg

_MG_0625.jpg

I looked for critters and saw these two, didn't actually see them eating the leaves though:

_MG_0633.jpg

_MG_0643.jpg

I looked at the underside of the leaves but I'm sure that I'm seeing anything specific:

_MG_0635.jpg

_MG_0637.jpg

any idea what is waging war on my hops?

Looks like sliug damage, do you see any "slime trails"? Beetles usually eat from the esge of the leaf, but I am not familiar with Hop Flea Beetles.

What ever it is get some neen oil and spray away it will knock most anything out and is organic, keeps my hops health and bug and mild few free.

the first bug in the 3rd pic is a stink bug. A real problem especially in numbers.

I grew up in the bay area and never seen any stink bugs. Here in PA however we have them everywhere. I kill about 1 per day in the house. They have been causing a lot of crop damage lately due to their large numbers.

beerloaf

Yeah looks like slug damage to me too. There's a product called sluggo which is organic, non-toxic slug bait that you sprinkle around on the ground and kills slugs, works well and is safe around pets.

Back