Brewtarget recipe contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, I need your help.

Remember when you were first starting out and needed some solid recipes to get you started? Here's a chance to go back in time and help yourself (sorta :) ).

I'm pulling together the next version of Brewtarget, and I really want this one to have a bunch of example recipes for newcomers to the hobby. So, I want to propose the following: send me your best recipe for a particular style of beer, and I'll review them and choose at least 1 from each BJCP subcategory. I don't have any money to give out, so I hope the honor of having your name in the brewtarget credits is enough :) However, the guys at Final Gravity Podcast have been gracious enough to provide free White Labs yeast to the person that has the most outstanding recipe. I'm not quite sure how we'll decide the top winner, though my favorite idea is to pick a few of the most interesting-looking recipes and brew them and have a taste-off.

Rules & Guidelines:
1) You must have brewed and tasted the recipe you submit.
2) The recipe must not be copyrighted in any way (e.g. a copy of a recipe from a book).
3) Recipes should be formulated for a batch size of around 5 US gallons.
4) Make sure all the fields of the ingredients, equipment, etc. that are in the recipe are completely filled out. This includes as much information as you can give in the "Extras" dialog, accessible by the "Extras" button in the toolbar.
5) Both extract and all-grain recipes welcome.

Submission:
Export the recipe in xml format by going to File->Export Recipe. Email the .xml to me at r_o_c_k_e_t_m_a_n_7_6_8 (at) gmail.com (remove all the underscores to get my real address). The subject must be "Brewtarget Recipe Submission: <title of recipe>."

Software:
If you don't already have the free & open source brewtarget, see this thread to download it.

Total Submissions by Category
Code:
1.  0
2.  0
3.  0
4.  0
5.  0
6.  1
7.  1
8.  1
9.  0
10. 2
11. 0
12. 0
13. 2
14. 0
15. 1
16. 3
17. 0
18. 2
19. 0
20. 0
21. 1
22. 0
23. 0

All mine are 3.5 gallon recipes. Not that I'd post to just bump this back to the top or anything. I'm sure you needed to know that. ;)

Sending mine (a cream ale) shortly. I figure not too many folks will submit a cream ale, but you'll probably get 50 IPAs. ;)

I'll send ya my Pale Ale recipe when it turns out awesome. When's the deadline for this? Should be drinkable in two weeks.

Is there a collection of Brew Target recipes somewhere? I'm still not to the point of crafting my own, and I'd love to see how it's done by more learned hands.

I'll send ya my Pale Ale recipe when it turns out awesome. When's the deadline for this? Should be drinkable in two weeks.

No hard deadline yet. It will go at least until all the major categories are covered, and hopefully all the subcategories.

You getting close to the 'target' yet?

Nope. There's still quite a ways to go in this contest.

Is there a collection of Brew Target recipes somewhere? I'm still not to the point of crafting my own, and I'd love to see how it's done by more learned hands.

Not as far as I know. That is what this thread is all about though.

Guys, I need your help.

Remember when you were first starting out and needed some solid recipes to get you started? Here's a chance to go back in time and help yourself (sorta :) ).

I'm pulling together the next version of Brewtarget, and I really want this one to have a bunch of example recipes for newcomers to the hobby. So, I want to propose the following: send me your best recipe for a particular style of beer, and I'll review them and choose at least 1 from each BJCP subcategory. I don't have any money to give out, so I hope the honor of having your name in the brewtarget credits is enough :) However, the guys at Final Gravity Podcast have been gracious enough to provide free White Labs yeast to the person that has the most outstanding recipe. I'm not quite sure how we'll decide the top winner, though my favorite idea is to pick a few of the most interesting-looking recipes and brew them and have a taste-off.

Rules & Guidelines:
1) You must have brewed and tasted the recipe you submit.
2) The recipe must not be copyrighted in any way (e.g. a copy of a recipe from a book).
3) Recipes should be formulated for a batch size of around 5 US gallons.
4) Make sure all the fields of the ingredients, equipment, etc. that are in the recipe are completely filled out. This includes as much information as you can give in the "Extras" dialog, accessible by the "Extras" button in the toolbar.
5) Both extract and all-grain recipes welcome.

Submission:
Export the recipe in xml format by going to File->Export Recipe. Email the .xml to me at r_o_c_k_e_t_m_a_n_7_6_8 (at) gmail.com (remove all the underscores to get my real address). The subject must be "Brewtarget Recipe Submission: <title of recipe>."

Software:
If you don't already have the free & open source brewtarget, see this thread to download it.

Total Submissions by Category
Code:
1.  0
2.  0
3.  0
4.  0
5.  0
6.  1
7.  1
8.  1
9.  0
10. 2
11. 0
12. 0
13. 2
14. 0
15. 1
16. 3
17. 0
18. 2
19. 0
20. 0
21. 1
22. 0
23. 0

So which recipes ended up in the final product?

Can we get a thread here of recipes in Brewtarget format for those of us who are newbies and try to use the software?

Back